TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Engine / Drive Train (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Torn up Impeller (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=53350)

Snipe 04-02-2013 09:33 AM

Torn up Impeller

2 Attachment(s)
The P.O. of my '98 5.7 Vortec never changed the impeller and I found it to be pretty torn up. I'm now a bit concerned of pieces in the engine blocking water passages and over heating. (I haven't been able to run it yet) He never mentioned any temp. problems. Where might I start to look for pieces?
Attachment 92119
Attachment 92120

mikeg205 04-02-2013 09:49 AM

Pop open the thermostat housing... if nothing there.. put the housing back together without the t-stat and run your garden hose or other source into the hose that goes into the t-stat housing...

then open up the plugs on the risers and engine block... hopefully the piece are already gone... or got caught by the t-stat..

Snipe 04-02-2013 09:53 AM

Thanks Mike, Will do that just for peace of mind. You've been very helpful.

mikeg205 04-02-2013 09:59 AM

No problem... It's too bad that some people who buy these boats won't maintain such a simple and cheap disposable item.

jfw432 04-02-2013 10:43 AM

The impeller I pulled out of my boat after acquiring it looked way worse than that. All of my fins were more than half gone. Temperature was ok unless the water in the block or lines got drained. When that happened, the impeller couldn't create a suction to pull any water from the lake and the engine overheated really fast. I don't know what happened to all the pieces but I haven't had any cooling problems since changing the impeller.

snork 04-02-2013 11:49 AM

look on the bottom of the lake

Snipe 04-02-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfw432 (Post 921180)
The impeller I pulled out of my boat after acquiring it looked way worse than that. All of my fins were more than half gone. Temperature was ok unless the water in the block or lines got drained. When that happened, the impeller couldn't create a suction to pull any water from the lake and the engine overheated really fast. I don't know what happened to all the pieces but I haven't had any cooling problems since changing the impeller.

Makes me feel a little more at ease.:) I will still check the T-Stat and blow out the hoses since I have time now. Summer is too short in WI to mess with problems.:uglyhamme

skijwr 04-06-2013 11:28 PM

Snipe, I am not familiar with your engine, but also check the transmission cooler. it should be about the size of a red bull can with 2 tranny hoses connected to it. remove the large water hoses 1.25" dia and run your garden hose through it to flush out. also inspect with flashlight.

Snipe 04-07-2013 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skijwr (Post 922651)
Snipe, I am not familiar with your engine, but also check the transmission cooler. it should be about the size of a red bull can with 2 tranny hoses connected to it. remove the large water hoses 1.25" dia and run your garden hose through it to flush out. also inspect with flashlight.

I'll look in there. Just don't see how anything from the impeller could get in there as the cooling water goes through there on the way to the raw water pump

fskof 04-07-2013 01:56 PM

Hey Snipe, how are you doing? If you ever need a hand with your boat give me a call. The way spring is going it wont be till July before the ice melts...lol