TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Engine / Drive Train (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   X7 Predator Engine Problems (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=53337)

ORSkier 04-01-2013 02:01 PM

X7 Predator Engine Problems

I was out this weekend enjoying the first nice weekend in Oregon on my X7 with my 2 year old son as my first mate, and had to get towed back to the launch, BUMMER. Anyhow, we were on the water for several hours just cruising the river and stopping every so often to relax. Toward the end of the day, after a stop, the boat wouldn't start. I cranked just fine and had enough fuel. Any thoughts on why it might not be working? Could it be the fuel filter or fuel pump? I just thought it was weird that the boat was working fine and then just wouldn't start back up.

mikeg205 04-01-2013 02:15 PM

my money is on the fuel pump - giving up it's ghost...

neil.anderson63 04-01-2013 02:38 PM

Inspect the fuel filter before you spring for a new fuel pump. I had this happen to me because I got some bad fuel at a marina. Flushed the tank, changed the filter and all was good. Now I run with Seafoam all the time - everytime.

bobx1 04-01-2013 02:39 PM

Not to be a smart a$$ but are you sure your kill switch lanyard was seated/installed properly - maybe it got knocked loose?

ORSkier 04-01-2013 02:43 PM

I forgot to mention that I did check the kill switch first thing.

Nelsonjeff79 04-01-2013 02:54 PM

Same thing happened to me last year with my Predator after having it out once. Took it to the MC dealer and they replaced the starter. I was suprised it went so fast since it went with no warning at all. At the end of the season I had the fuel filter replaced as a precautionary measure.

JimN 04-01-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nelsonjeff79 (Post 920891)
Same thing happened to me last year with my Predator after having it out once. Took it to the MC dealer and they replaced the starter. I was suprised it went so fast since it went with no warning at all. At the end of the season I had the fuel filter replaced as a precautionary measure.

He posted that it cranked fine, just wouldn't start.

JimN 04-01-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ORSkier (Post 920866)
I was out this weekend enjoying the first nice weekend in Oregon on my X7 with my 2 year old son as my first mate, and had to get towed back to the launch, BUMMER. Anyhow, we were on the water for several hours just cruising the river and stopping every so often to relax. Toward the end of the day, after a stop, the boat wouldn't start. I cranked just fine and had enough fuel. Any thoughts on why it might not be working? Could it be the fuel filter or fuel pump? I just thought it was weird that the boat was working fine and then just wouldn't start back up.

Time to bare your soul and tell us what you know about engines and troubleshooting. Did you look inside of the flame arrester, to see if any fuel was being delivered to the throttle body? Did you check for spark? What about popped breakers?

197 TT 04-01-2013 04:21 PM

I had this happen to me twice, once was the fuel pump, the other was the fuel pump relay...

carlsonwa 04-02-2013 11:24 PM

On my predator engine. Even with the kill switch off. Motor still cranks. Just doesn't fire up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk