TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Restorations and Refurbishments (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   1991 Prostar 190 Project Boat (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=53239)

freehugs 03-25-2013 04:36 PM

1991 Prostar 190 Project Boat

10 Attachment(s)
Hello everybody.

I'm a super long-time lurker...

I bought a 1991 Prostar 190 a couple years ago as a project boat for $3,500.

The good news: the hull and gelcoat were in pretty good shape and it had a new transmission put in it only 2 seasons before and had been sparingly used since then.

The bad news:

Well, I'll give more details upon request but I'll let the pictures tell the story.

thatsmrmastercraft 03-25-2013 04:42 PM

Welcome to the posting side of TT. Your pictures do tell of story of neglect by the previous owner. You must have been busy. The before pictures make the inside of your boat look worse than the inside of a New York Taxi. Would like to see more pics if you have them. Anything extra done when going through the engine?

Dylan 03-25-2013 05:02 PM

Great looking boat externally. It almost looks like you had a fire in the engine... Is that the case?

freehugs 03-25-2013 05:09 PM

Thanks for the words of welcome. I figured I've been through enough with this boat that I can contribute back with some of my experience.

The engine is a brand new 351 long block without a core exchange (still have the old block). The intake manifold was ruined. The only engine upgrade is the Edelbrock performer intake. Other than that, she's all stock. The tranny is the 1.52:1 model.

The motor and tranny are back in the boat. The interior is completely gutted. The side panels and rear seat literally fell apart while being removed.

I reconditioned the exhaust manifolds and risers, the cross brace for the ski pylon, and the steering system. The rear brackets and entire rudder assembly had to be taken apart and cleaned / greased. Had to replace all the zerk fittings. The pylon brace had several bolt ripped out on one side (were they trying to pull out a tree or something?!). I repaired this by drilling out and tapping the holes for the next size up bolt.

Along the way to rebuilding this boat, I got sidetracked with silly things like marriage and having a baby with my wife (the lady scooping crap out of the bilge in the pictures).

But here's the good news. I'm back on the project!

I have to glass in mounting points for the fuel tank, install the sending unit and fuel withdrawal tube, fuel line, fuel tank, carb, exhaust manifolds, alternator, and then all I have to do is point-to-point wire the entire electrical system! (piece of cake!). I'm hoping to actually start the engine sometime in April...and then I'll focus on the interior.

mikeg205 03-25-2013 05:22 PM

Thanks for posts.... where did you pick up the motor? What the motors horsepower rated at... can I ask how much the engine was?

Thanks...

Table Rocker 03-25-2013 05:26 PM

The hull and the new engine look great! Good luck with the project.

thatsmrmastercraft 03-25-2013 05:44 PM

It looks like it must have sat uncovered and full of water at some point in it's life. Great transformation so far.

occva 03-25-2013 05:50 PM

New engine looks great!

Any chance you want to sell the old valve covers?

freehugs 03-25-2013 07:06 PM

@mikeg205

I got the motor from S&J engines in WA.

I talked to a couple different engine builders on the east coast, but these guys were $1,800 with the core charge and shipping. Seemed silly that the engine was shipping from Washington state all the way to Florida but they were super helpful and the price was right...(I just checked and their prices have gone up since then).

@mrmastercraft

It was filled with a combination of rainwater and sprinkler system water from a south florida well. Which means the water had a high iron content, hence the rust stains all over the boat. The line on the fuel tank is very telling of how much water was in it...

@occva

You probably wouldn't want the valve covers. I tried to reuse them, but after a light (and I mean light) media blasting, you could see through them in a couple spots (oops). They are currently acting as (poor) dust covers until I get the exhaust manifolds on.

mikeg205 03-25-2013 07:16 PM

Outstanding!!!!... on the price... I will have to keep that one tucked away... :)