TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Engine / Drive Train (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Water in v-drive (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=53199)

walterlaughlin 03-23-2013 07:06 PM

Water in v-drive

Hello, I have a 95 Maristar with a LT1 and a v-drive. I took it to the mechanic a while back to change the fluids etc to get it ready for summer. The mechanic noticed water in the v-drive fluid-basically it looked like a milkshake. So I had him flush the unit several times and then fill it up with ATF. I took the boat to the lake today for its shakedown cruise. I put it in the water, fired it up, took the truck to the parking lot, then idled out a couple hundred yards from the ramp. Then I checked the v-drive dipstick, and sure enough, another milkshake. Any ideas on what is causing this? Thanks

j.mccreight@hotmail.com 03-23-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walterlaughlin (Post 918549)
Hello, I have a 95 Maristar with a LT1 and a v-drive. I took it to the mechanic a while back to change the fluids etc to get it ready for summer. The mechanic noticed water in the v-drive fluid-basically it looked like a milkshake. So I had him flush the unit several times and then fill it up with ATF. I took the boat to the lake today for its shakedown cruise. I put it in the water, fired it up, took the truck to the parking lot, then idled out a couple hundred yards from the ramp. Then I checked the v-drive dipstick, and sure enough, another milkshake. Any ideas on what is causing this? Thanks

Did you have excessive water in bilge that covered the vdrive unit? Either your mechanic failed to flush all the water or you possibly have a leaking cooler.

blackcreek 03-23-2013 07:57 PM

Probably a bad transmission oil cooler.

FrankSchwab 03-24-2013 12:15 AM

Bad cooler, I'd guess too.

Take it out, plug one of the oil holes, put a few psi (like 3-5) in the other hole, and see if it leaks. If it does, call the SkiDim boys and get a new one.

/frank

walterlaughlin 03-24-2013 03:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I didn't know the v-drive had a cooler - I thought the transmission (Hurth) had one but the gearbox (Walter) did not. The hose on the right of the box comes from a thru-hull pickup, and there is a similar hose on the left. I checked the transmission fluid and it looked perfectly red and clean.

PureInboards 03-24-2013 03:32 PM

Walter vdrive cooler is internal thats why the water pipe go in and out of it, pretty much the only way you get water in them unless the bilge is full of water. You will need to get it pressure tested to see if it leaks

Engine Nut 03-24-2013 08:45 PM

The most likely source if the water leak on a Walter V-drive is the gasket under the top cover. If that gasket is bad it is possible for water that is in the water chamber to get into the transmission through the hole that the dipstick goes through. We almost never see a leak from the oil cooling coil that runs inside the cooling chamber. I would be willing to bet that the leak is at the water chamber gasket.

walterlaughlin 03-24-2013 10:18 PM

Thanks for the reply, how difficult is it to change that gasket? Does the v-drive need to come out of the boat to replace ir? Just wondering how many hours I'm looking at (at 95 bucks an hour labor charge per my boat mechanic). Also wondering how I can launder money to pay for this without the wife getting wind of it. #%&euro;<*$&@ boats!! Bust out another thousand...

sand2snow22 03-24-2013 10:49 PM

Engine nut, are you talking about the seals? If so, yes I think you have to pull the tranny.

88 PS190 03-24-2013 11:25 PM

I think engine nut is refering to that picture. That cover appears to have a passage way for the dip stick to get down to the oil, but also has water passing through.

Therefore if you pull those bolts, the cover should come off, and a profile gasket should be there which seals the passage way for that dip stick.

Don't have that boat, but that looks darned simple, so long as its not badly corroded under the cover.