TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Hehe (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=53165)

Astepatatime 03-21-2013 01:02 PM

Hehe

Just got an email back from insurance agent. We filled out a form to get a quote on the X-55 we have on order, with the 7.4L engine. The question back:

"Are you sure this has 522 horsepower? Typically these boats have 340-400 horsepower"

You betcha, baby!

FourFourty 03-21-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astepatatime (Post 917890)
Just got an email back from insurance agent. We filled out a form to get a quote on the X-55 we have on order, with the 7.4L engine. The question back:

"Are you sure this has 522 horsepower? Typically these boats have 340-400 horsepower"

You betcha, baby!

Almost couldn't get insurance on the XStar because of that. :D

They had to send the application for "Head Underwriter" approval. It took two weeks to get an answer. They basically said "Because you have insured boats with us for 10 years, and had no incidents, we have the ability to override our 500hp rule on your 24' boat....." :confused:

Theclarks1111 03-21-2013 01:24 PM

That's awesome!

bsloop 03-21-2013 05:47 PM

I would take this seriously and not like a prideful joke.

Usually when they see over 500hp = speed = increased liability

I would be in communication with the underwriter that this 500+hp is more like a low gear truck not a performace speed demon.
They may or may not write you and you may or may not get the best rate if they dont fully understand.

Astepatatime 03-21-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsloop (Post 917994)
I would take this seriously and not like a prideful joke.

Usually when they see over 500hp = speed = increased liability

I would be in communication with the underwriter that this 500+hp is more like a low gear truck not a performace speed demon.
They may or may not write you and you may or may not get the best rate if they dont fully understand.

You're spot on. That's exactly what I did in my response to the question, explained the torque and top speed. Must have been okay because they supplied the quote and I "think" it's pretty reasonable.

But I'm not going to lie, it made me smile.

east tx skier 03-21-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astepatatime (Post 918015)
You're spot on. That's exactly what I did in my response to the question, explained the torque and top speed. Must have been okay because they supplied the quote and I "think" it's pretty reasonable.

But I'm not going to lie, it made me smile.

But see the "true HP" thread. I might have explained that, often, hp is overstated. And that, in this case, hp is probably 499. It's an honest answer, and everyone is happy.

ttu 03-21-2013 10:52 PM

most underwriters look at length to horsepower ratio. in their minds a 25 ft inboard/outboard with 500hp should top out in the upper 60's. they don't understand that our boats are tractors that may do 45 on a great day.

Astepatatime 03-21-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttu (Post 918078)
most underwriters look at length to horsepower ratio. in their minds a 25 ft inboard/outboard with 500hp should top out in the upper 60's. they don't understand that our boats are tractors that may do 45 on a great day.

Wait a minute...someone compared me trading my Crownline E4 for the X-55 to be like going from an Explorer to a Range Rover. Another said a minivan to a sports car. Now you're telling me I bought a tractor? ;)

CC2MC 03-21-2013 11:26 PM

Man, my John Deer can only run about 40, but man I can bush hog that field in no time...45 is a fast tractor!

mikeg205 03-22-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FourFourty (Post 917894)
Almost couldn't get insurance on the XStar because of that. :D

They had to send the application for "Head Underwriter" approval. It took two weeks to get an answer. They basically said "Because you have insured boats with us for 10 years, and had no incidents, we have the ability to override our 500hp rule on your 24' boat....." :confused:

Wow - so - if you want a boat with 500HP+ you're on your own? I haven't had to look go down this path. I only have liability on my '95 so I only pay $81 a year...