TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   General / Other (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Steering cable (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=53130)

76S&S 03-19-2013 02:25 PM

Steering cable

I like a lot of you have had great dealings with skidim, but I'm frugal (cheap) and am always looking for a better deal.

If you need a new steering cable be sure to check out Marine Parts Source. I just ordered a new cable from them (same part number) for roughly 40% less than my old standby vendor.

catamount 03-19-2013 02:42 PM

Thanks for the tip!

mwg 03-19-2013 03:30 PM

When I was replacing my steering cable a couple of months ago I found this place but became weary when I couldn't find a real address or phone number on their web site. I Googled them, found an address and looked them up on Google Earth.. it looked more like a warehouse than a retail establishment. They are probably legit but although I'm frugal, I've heard of too many horror stories from people buying from places like this. I ended up buying the cable form my local dealer for about $20 more... it was worth the piece of mind.

thatsmrmastercraft 03-19-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwg (Post 917068)
When I was replacing my steering cable a couple of months ago I found this place but became weary when I couldn't find a real address or phone number on their web site. I Googled them, found an address and looked them up on Google Earth.. it looked more like a warehouse than a retail establishment. They are probably legit but although I'm frugal, I've heard of too many horror stories from people buying from places like this. I ended up buying the cable form my local dealer for about $20 more... it was worth the piece of mind.

There are lots of businesses today that do not have a retail center. The internet has allowed this to expand greatly, but there have always been catalog order businesses. That being said, one can't be too careful who they buy from. My father used to caution me about "trying to save the last nickel".

76S&S 03-19-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwg (Post 917068)

That's why I pay with a CC and not Paypal or anything else. I can always deny the charge on my CC if something doesn't work out.

BTW, I placed the order after lunch today and already have a UPS tracking number.:D

76S&S 03-19-2013 05:32 PM

Oh, and I also stumbled across this vendor on fleabay where they have great feedback.

CC2MC 03-20-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76S&S (Post 917032)
I like a lot of you have had great dealings with skidim, but I'm frugal (cheap) and am always looking for a better deal.

If you need a new steering cable be sure to check out Marine Parts Source. I just ordered a new cable from them (same part number) for roughly 40% less than my old standby vendor.

I checked but they do not have the size I need. It also was not 40% cheaper, but more like 14%. I think I will just stick with what I know, which is Teleflex.

I spoke with Richard at Skidim and he told me that if you buy online and enter promo code "malibu", you can get a 10% discount.

76S&S 03-20-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC2MC (Post 917481)
I checked but they do not have the size I need. It also was not 40% cheaper, but more like 14%. I think I will just stick with what I know, which is Teleflex.

I spoke with Richard at Skidim and he told me that if you buy online and enter promo code "malibu", you can get a 10% discount.

In my case for the 19' cable it was $185 vs $113 for the exact same Teleflex cable.

http://www.marinepartssource.com/new...LEFLEX&desc=19 ft. Backmount Rack Steering Cable&mfgno=SSC13419

CC2MC 03-20-2013 06:06 PM

Oh, that's a rack cable. Did you convert your steering over from rotary already? If so, how long did your last Rack cable last you. I have been told that the older rotary type lasts longer. I also assume that you were able to make that black bar fit under your dash with no problem as well.

Okay, found the one I would need. Still about 14% discount, but always good to know of another supplier. Thanks for the info.

occva 03-20-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC2MC (Post 917481)

Damn! I bet if you enter "mastercraft" you would get 15%:- :-)