TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   General / Other (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Question about X-Star vs. X2 (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=53068)

TN Barefooter 03-15-2013 05:59 PM

Question about X-Star vs. X2

My wife and I are looking at possibly purchasing a bigger boat next year. It will have to be used. Possibly 2006 or 2007 model, we're looking at an X-Star or X-2. My question is this: which of the two models would you recommend. We are a family of four and the girls are really into wakeboard and surfing. They also enjoy skiing. We usually bring several kids from the children's home with us on the weekends so our family grows by 2 to 4 additional people. We currently have a PS 190 which we love but it gets cramped really quick. We're needing a little assistance in choosing our next boat. We won't be seriously looking until next year. I skii and barefoot but I would really like the additional room without breaking the bank. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We'd like to stay in the 40 to 50 thousand dollar range.

93Prostar190 03-15-2013 06:58 PM

In order a 2007 x1 will be a little bigger and über versatile.

A 2007 or newer X2 is a very versatile boat, strongly recommend.

Heck even a x14 or 214v would be very capable boat for for disciplines.

Peace.

Aric'sX15 03-15-2013 07:04 PM

X-star is a one trick pony. Very, very good wakeboard boat as you know. Id chose an x-2, or am 06-7 x15. Both roomy and versatile boats.
Id go 07 with the tower update.

magnum 03-15-2013 09:20 PM

We have an 06 X-Star and it is the ultimate Wakeboard boat and does make a pretty good wake for surfing but not any good for Skiing due to the size of the wake you have to cross . When you start to get 8 to 10 people and gear it begins to get a little crowded

TN Barefooter 03-15-2013 09:50 PM

Thanks for the information. Please keep it coming. We're not sure what direction we'll be taking just yet. It will definitely be a MC, we're just not sure which model yet. I do like the pickle fork but that won't necessarily be a deal breaker. Plus we're going to enjoy this summer on our PS 190 and see what's available at season's end.

Jerseydave 03-15-2013 10:41 PM

I wakeboard, wakesurf and even barefoot with my '05 X-star with no issues. I know other models will provide a better surf wake (X-15, '06 and newer X-30) but we wakeboard more often than anything else. Never skied behind it, probably not fun with that big wake.

An X-15 or X-30 would be good choices in your price range.

bturner2 03-16-2013 10:35 AM

The X-star is one bad boy and very hard to beat when it comes to space and wakeboarding. That being said it is by no means a slalom boat if that is remotely important to you. I have a 07 X2. It's been a great family boat with plenty of storage and room for 6 passengers. 8 adults can be a tight squeeze if you're out for the entire day but are great ballast for surfing. It wakeboards and surfs very well. It's OK for slalom but is by no means a Pro Star.

If you have the supporting infrastructure for the X-Star (cash, tow vehicle, lift, room to store etc.) and don't care about slalom I'd do the X-Star. If you need something a little smaller I'd do a 214, an X2 or a 214v. If you're concerned about interior size the X1 is going to be the smallest of the lot. Still larger than you have now but noticeably smaller than all the other options.

TN Barefooter 03-16-2013 04:42 PM

I'm thinking worst case scenario or best case scenario, we'll keep the 190 for the wife and I, an get one of the X models for family outings. I appreciate your input, I'm going to try and bum a ride off an X star and an X2 this summer to see which would be more capable for our needs. I might be hitting you guys up that live in East Tennessee for a tow (and help with the fuel of course). Thanks again for your input. Please keep the info coming.