TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Underwater Running Gear (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Prop Strut Alignment (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=53000)

skongolf 03-11-2013 01:56 AM

Prop Strut Alignment

Today I was putting in a new steering cable in my 01 X30 and when aligning the steering wheel I noticed the rudder was about 1" to the left of the center of the prop shaft when looking from the rear. I had my buddy who is a long time Malibu mechanic look at it and said that usually means a bent prop strut. After doing some research on here I came accross a thread that said that the rudders are usually offset about 3/4 to 1" to the port side. Is this true?
The prop strut doesnt look bent, there are no vibrations to speak of while driving and there is no damage to the prop strut. I bought the boat used and have never hit anything with it. Would just like to get some input on the rudder alignment before I go looking for a new prop strut.

Aric'sX15 03-11-2013 02:01 AM

The rudder is offset to the left to be able to change the props easier if im remembering correctly.

FrankSchwab 03-11-2013 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 (Post 914461)
The rudder is offset to the left to be able to change the props easier if im remembering correctly.

change the propSHAFT easier. If the rudder was right behind the center of the prop, you'd have to pull the rudder to pull the shaft. As it's built, it'll barely slide past the rudder.

But what you've noticed is perfectly normal for a Mastercraft.

Aric'sX15 03-11-2013 02:34 AM

I was close! haha

ski/hunt 03-11-2013 08:46 AM

KEEP reading----your both wrong!!

mikeg205 03-11-2013 01:35 PM

It's offset to counter act the torque of the prop to the port side and as a result you get to change the prop easier... :)

FrankSchwab 03-11-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg205 (Post 914582)
It's offset to counter act the torque of the prop to the port side and as a result you get to change the prop easier... :)

Hey, my random statement of fact on the Internet is just as factual and authoritative as your random statement of fact on the Internet. Prove yours is right!

/frank

ski/hunt 03-11-2013 03:13 PM

Look up "p-factor" in single engine aircraft---Same principal applies to fixed shaft and rudder on a boat----
And that info is in books----not just the "Internet"!!

byronic 03-11-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ski/hunt (Post 914632)
Look up "p-factor" in single engine aircraft---Same principal applies to fixed shaft and rudder on a boat----
And that info is in books----not just the "Internet"!!

Wow,"P-factor", "step on the ball! , step on the ball!" it's all comming back now.

mikeg205 03-11-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankSchwab (Post 914587)
Hey, my random statement of fact on the Internet is just as factual and authoritative as your random statement of fact on the Internet. Prove yours is right!

/frank

ding...ding..dind... I knew cuz... I am asymmetrical too ... ;)