TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Help! Electrical/alternator issues on 96 Prostar 190 (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=52990)

96prostar190 03-10-2013 05:08 PM

Help! Electrical/alternator issues on 96 Prostar 190

Boat died in middle of lake, took it to shop they said it was my purple wire. I've owned the boat for a year now and I can't figure out what is actually wrong. I don't think it's the purple wire.

Has anyone had this issue? If so what did you do to fix it? I re-wired it my self to the back of the original alternator to ensure its not a connection issue. I'm just afraid to die in the middle of the lake again. Right now it's working fine but this has happened twice!

What happens: cruising along engine will just die. I can crank it but it won't start. All other electrical works fine.

Thank you so much in advance for the help!!!!

Yellow X9 03-10-2013 05:26 PM

Check your Safety / Kill switch and or Connections to it

96prostar190 03-10-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellow X9 (Post 914352)
Check your Safety / Kill switch and or Connections to it

Thanks for the reply Yellow X9, I checked and it's not that. It's something more in depth in the system. It also fried two of my gauges.... Un real!

Table Rocker 03-10-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96prostar190 (Post 914346)
I re-wired it my self to the back of the original alternator to ensure its not a connection issue.

What exactly did you do here?

96prostar190 03-10-2013 05:58 PM

I re-crimped the wires to the back of the alternator. The dealer who had done the work originally left the orange wire on loose and I noticed I could just pull it off without even trying.

96prostar190 03-10-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Table Rocker (Post 914359)
What exactly did you do here?

Hey I just noticed your in Fayettville, I'm actually living in Little Rock right now till May. The boat is here too!

96prostar190 03-10-2013 06:13 PM

My main problem is I don't have any of the engine manuals so I don't even really know make/type of alternator. I know its the V8 Indmar LT motor but that's it!

Table Rocker 03-10-2013 06:14 PM

Okay, I thought maybe you had moved the purple wire to the alternator. It sure sounds like the purple wire isn't getting it's job done. It's hard to fix an intermittent problem like that.

I think you will like the Arkansas lakes this spring, good luck with the wiring problem.

96prostar190 03-10-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Table Rocker (Post 914367)
Okay, I thought maybe you had moved the purple wire to the alternator. It sure sounds like the purple wire isn't getting it's job done. It's hard to fix an intermittent problem like that.

I think you will like the Arkansas lakes this spring, good luck with the wiring problem.

Thanks man, so far we like it a lot! Heading up to Greers this weekend...

Yeah it's a huge pain in the balls. After troubleshooting wires everything looks good, but I guess we'll see.

Table Rocker 03-10-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96prostar190 (Post 914366)
My main problem is I don't have any of the engine manuals so I don't even really know make/type of alternator. I know its the V8 Indmar LT motor but that's it!

If you were having an alternator problem, the boat would run off the battery until the battery was dead. The reason it looks like a purple wire problem is the ignition dies and the gauges stop working.