TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Trailers (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Fun With Trailer, Phase One (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=52982)

Tristarboarder 03-10-2013 01:31 AM

Fun With Trailer, Phase One

4 Attachment(s)
Hello my fellow friends,

Today, after much research and apprehension, I decided to remove my Tristar from the trailer for a good ol' rehab project. It was a very interesting experience; mostly a pucker factor.....I have read all types of threads on this procedure; ways to do it etc. I was lucky enough to have access to 2 forklifts, a large shop, and several floor jacks.

First I built some cradles out of 2x6 boards and trim board

Then, began the slow, painstaking process of jacking up the trailer, moving jacks, and repeat

Tristarboarder 03-10-2013 01:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And a shot of the trailer..........it needs a lot of love.....a new Spring project :)

More to follow.....

thatsmrmastercraft 03-10-2013 01:48 AM

Looks like you are off to a great start.

Stefan 03-10-2013 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristarboarder (Post 914246)
And a shot of the trailer..........it needs a lot of love.....a new Spring project :)

More to follow.....

Nice 140 S-Class in the corner there, the last real Mercedes imo

Tristarboarder 03-10-2013 12:52 PM

Thanks, that car is "another" project on my long list...

88 PS190 03-11-2013 10:36 PM

BTW there is an easier way to do the job.

Your boat comes with a free "boat removal jack" on the trailer.

You lower the tongue jack all the way, then you crib up the hull in the rear, since it is behind the axle, when you run the jack up again the rear will land on the cribbing, and as you crank it will eventully lift off the bunks in the rear and up off the trailer.

Although with two nice fork lifts I'd be thinking a spreader bar and webbing.

Tristarboarder 03-11-2013 11:08 PM

insurance

2 Attachment(s)
After a lot of reasearch, and all the tools I had access to (forklifts, shop, etc) I went with this idea. The stern lifting hooks proved to be a strong lifting point, as designed. I didn't trust the bow lift eye, it just didn't seem strong enough, so I just used a series of jack stands and a floor jack to position, and reposition, and again. Below, pics of how it stands now....."insurance" with lots of back ups. Jack stands on the bow, and floor jack on the bow, large foam filled sponsons to support the stern, and a cable ran through the stern lifting hooks, connected to an engine hoist. Then, to further give me piece of mind, 2 boat stands on either side of the transom. Only an act of God could knock this thing over.......hmmmmm, I do live in the Northwest...more to come.

Tristarboarder 03-12-2013 11:33 PM

Phase 2

2 Attachment(s)
Today, I took everything off the trailer (wench, wheels, bunks, bow roller, center pad, and the guide rails. The only thing I didn't get off yet wer the lights, and the center keel roller. It has the caps on the outside of the bracket that holds the pin. They, as most of you know, are a "hat" shape. How are they removed? Looks like they are pressed on. I tried prying with a screw driver, but I didn't want to break it or bend it up. It did give a fight as is while I pulled on them. So, any suggestions on how to remove the end caps holding the roller on? Thanks.

Table Rocker 03-13-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristarboarder (Post 915112)
It has the caps on the outside of the bracket that holds the pin. They, as most of you know, are a "hat" shape. How are they removed? Looks like they are pressed on. I tried prying with a screw driver, but I didn't want to break it or bend it up. It did give a fight as is while I pulled on them. So, any suggestions on how to remove the end caps holding the roller on? Thanks.

My experience has been to pry them off with a big screwdriver and replace them. I doubt you can get them off in reusable condition. I'm not sure of the size you will need, but most hardware stores will carry them.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_65291-37672-...nut&facetInfo=

Looking good with the project.

Tristarboarder 03-13-2013 12:41 AM

Thanks, that was easy.

Quote:

most hardware stores