TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   For Sale: Boats (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Tips on Buying a 1988 Prostar 190 (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=52976)

pwrman 03-09-2013 10:31 AM

Tips on Buying a 1988 Prostar 190

I'm looking for help on buying an extremely clean 1988 Prostar 190. It has been garage kept, original owner, less than 300 hours. He is asking $11,500, which seems very high, but this is a real gem (I think).

I'm supposed to go meet him today and drive it, but I want to be ready with questions.

Questions:
- I'm not very mechanical, so should I pay a mechanic to look at it?
- What should this mechanic be looking for? Compression test?
- What is a boat like this really worth? I was thinking of around $8500 - $9k...I know the blue book is lower.

Unfortunately his post on Craigslist has expired, so I can't post the pics this morning :(

Thanks!

h2oskifreak 03-09-2013 10:38 AM

There is a Platium 88 190 on here that is pristine for 12,995 right now. I guess it's worth what it's worth to you. I overpaid a little (11,500) for my 94 190, but it was low hours, had been taken care of and the seller's wife was sic, so I didn't beat him up too much.
Feel the steering to see that it feels good and check tracking to see if it tracks straight. Talk with the seller about maint. on the boat as well as the trailer. Bearings, tires, actuators can add up real quick if they need done.
I agree, the price should be less, but he may have a super nice boat and that drives price. Good luck.

pwrman 03-09-2013 11:10 AM

Thanks skifreak. I will check out the tracking and see what he says about the past maintenance.

We're going to meet in 2 hours. I'll get some pics too.

maxpower220 03-09-2013 11:13 AM

It's the season for prices to rise. I think that is a high price as there are a lot of newer boats for less money.

Overall condition will tell you a lot about the boat. Unless the interior has been redone recently, then it's a crap shoot.

It is important to have the boat "cold" during any test drive. Be leary of a seller that has the boat "warmed up" prior to your arrival. This MAY be an indication that it has carb issues. On an older boat and without a lot of knowledge, I would pay a mechanic to look the boat over. A boat mechanic should know what to look for and what to test.

Good luck.

Double D 03-09-2013 03:13 PM

There is the same boat for sale now here in Ohio for $8500 from Zsqure. Clean and same as the one your looking at. Can't see where your located on my phone but the other price seems to be a tad high.

zsqure 03-09-2013 05:59 PM

Pwrman, how far south is south? Look in the for sale section. I can send more pictures.

Chrisoswald 03-09-2013 06:11 PM

Seems outrageous to me. I have a 88 that I got from a member on the site and its really nice and did not pay even close to that. You can do better. Even if its all it's advertised to be that is simply too much $ for that model boat in my opinion.

JohnE 03-09-2013 06:27 PM

It's priced high IMO. I just bought a '97 from the original owner also pristine for about the same price. That's an $8500 boat. Maybe add a grand if it is pristine and original owner and low hours.

reftech 03-09-2013 06:33 PM

I'd sell mine for less that...

JohnE 03-09-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reftech (Post 914171)
I'd sell mine for less that...

What do you own?