TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Restorations and Refurbishments (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   1979 stars and stripes (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=52785)

cewilkins 02-19-2013 05:17 PM

1979 stars and stripes

Iam starting to restore my 79 stars and stripes,I am new to boat restoration and would be very thankful for any of you to give me some advise, so far I know I haft to replace a section of a stringer that the transmission mounts to, I haft to replace the floor and all the upholstrey, The engine I have is in great shape and runs well, But the transmission needs rebulding, What advise would yall start me out at on these subjects and were do yall buy parts for this boat. Thanks , again any advice would be greatly welcomed

thatsmrmastercraft 02-19-2013 05:24 PM

Welcome to Team Talk. You came to the right place in search of and and all info needed to bring your boat back to life. For starters, if the stringer under the transmission is bad, you should be replacing the whole thing. I have not heard of anyone piecing one together, but I suppose one could sister in support. And if you are in the process of replacing the floor, this would be a good opportunity to do the stringers.

Discount Inboard Marine has many of the parts you will need in servicing your boat. http://www.skidim.com/

You can get the trans parts from SKIDIM and do the work yourself if you are reasonably handy.

Would love to see some pictures.

cewilkins 02-19-2013 06:49 PM

Thanks I hope to post some pics this weekend, When you say replace the hole thing do you mean that whole stringer or all the stringers, the rest of the stringers in the boat seam pretty solid? I guess i shouldnt be concernd about cosmetics right now but i cant help to worry about the seating, mainly the observation seat some one has took the origanal out and put just a bench seat, I would like to get a more orignal look out of it could I just buil one out of wood?,And back to the stringers is douglas fir the best type of wood to replace them or coul I use treated pine?

SWGA Boater 02-19-2013 07:39 PM

Hi and welcome to TT. I am also in the process of a restoration--a 77. I am almost ready to begin glassing in the stringers. I have a little more grinding to do. I went with Douglas fir for the stringer/s replacement I read a lot of negatives on the web about using PT lumber and fiberglass. I had a hard time locating Douglas fir in the south, but the local building supply finally was able to locate it for me. Where are you located? I'm in SW Georgia.

liledgy 02-19-2013 09:00 PM

Correct craft fan has 100's of threads on stringer repair/replacement. Their boats from the 80's had major,major rot problems. You will get far more knowledge there than here, I guess that's a good thing. It's a great site with very knowledgable people that are very willing to help.
Besides Douglas fir, some have used a composite called coosa with very good results ( and no wood!). Some others have used a laminated beam, from what I e read they are very good and resisting for. Good luck

cewilkins 02-19-2013 09:05 PM

I am in monticello Ga just a liltle above macon, I have been reading your post SWGA and it has gave me a lot of info, I just cant get over the cosmetis What are you goin do do about painting your boat ,How would you go about painting the bottom of the boat? I know I may be asking crazy questions to some of yall but Iam just trying to get my self prepared for what Iam bout to get into, I dont have alot of money but iam very mechanical inclined and have always been able to do just bout anything I set my mind to.

thatsmrmastercraft 02-20-2013 10:02 AM

Don't hesitate on asking questions. There are plenty of people with a lot of knowledge on here and someone will have the answer. This stuff helps us terribly addicted folks get through the winter.

SWGA Boater 02-20-2013 08:41 PM

Before you talk about paint, lets see what your hull looks like. May only need wet sanding and polishing. I have saw before and after gel coats on this site that look awesome. You would have never guessed it was the same boat.

liledgy 02-20-2013 09:10 PM

Don't hesitate on asking questions. There are plenty of people with a lot of knowledge on here and someone will have the answer. This stuff helps us terribly addicted folks get through the winter.

I didn't mean to disrespect anyone here��, Just that they have a continuous rotation of new people with stringer problems ( many in the 80's). In correct crafts defense they made a lot of boats too.

thatsmrmastercraft 02-20-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liledgy (Post 910397)

I didn't mean to disrespect anyone here��, Just that they have a continuous rotation of new people with stringer problems ( many in the 80's). In correct crafts defense they made a lot of boats too.

No disrespect taken on my part. CC Fan is a great resource for stringer replacement.