TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New Slalom Vest (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=52749)

h2oskifreak 02-16-2013 05:51 PM

New Slalom Vest

Wife got me a GC to waterskis.com for VD and it's time for a new vest. I ski the course into 32/35 off at 34 mph. My current vest is 10 years old and wearing thin. I see a HO "Point" Comp Vest for $99.00 and it is made of some 4 way stretch they tout to be form fitting. Here is my question; My current vest retains water (weight) and drains as I am in set up and for who know how many balls? Am I correct there are vests that do not retain water? Doesn't seem to be discussed much in the description of the product. Oneil has an "Outlaw" and "Tourque" for a little more $, again no mention if the retain water. I have broken ribs before skiing so I wonder if I am better off with a vest that buckles and is a little thicker than the "comp" vest? I don't compete, but I do get down. Any input for me on the drainage issue , or the models I have mentioned? Thanks, h20

east tx skier 02-16-2013 08:58 PM

Most of the impact vests do not retain water. Check out the Eagle One. I have one and love it. Eagle vests are fantastic.

saltybalty 02-16-2013 11:52 PM

Vests also start to retain more water when they get older, which is probably what you are experiencing.

ProStar Slalom 02-17-2013 08:19 AM

Straight Line used to make a great vest; can only find them used these days. For new I'd second Eagle, or also look at Camaro, which are more popular overseas but gaining some traction here as well.

mramerman@gmail.com 02-17-2013 11:43 AM

I often say my O'Neil outlaw vest is one of the best ski items I have purchased. Great flotation, comfortable and easy out of the hole. I highly recommend

Holtrodj 02-17-2013 01:07 PM

I'm another vote for Eagle. I love mine.

Holtrodj 02-17-2013 01:13 PM

I'm another vote for Eagle. I love mine.

h2oskifreak 02-17-2013 02:47 PM

Don't see Eagle on waterskis.com, where my GC is from. Did a quick search before I jumped on a garage project and didn't find a good source. Looked quickly at Overtons as well, what am I missing, is Eagle manufactured by a maker I need to get to and Eagle One is in the line? I know, I look stupid.

h2oskifreak 02-17-2013 06:04 PM

Found Eagle Sports. The Eagle 1 does look nice.

corey 02-17-2013 09:51 PM

Right now I am running a 1080 vest, one of their 3 series to be exact. I does not hold any water, super light however next to zero buoyancy. Overall the comfort is awesome, flexibility is awesome, but still no buoyancy. So basically safety factor is low, comfort is high. Price is crazy cheap.

My all time favorite vest is the Oniell Outlaw. Similar comfort to my 1080 but with a touch more float. My last one lasted 10 years (actually I sold it so it wasn't really worn out). This will be my next vest. I like my 1080 but it's no outlaw.