TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What boat? (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=52738)

mzimme 02-15-2013 03:44 PM

What boat?

So I'm looking at an upgrade this season. Probably not for a few months, but I need to start keeping my eyes open in case a great deal pops up. I'm trying to determine which boat would fit the bill for what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a good crossover boat, less than $25k (ideally around 20k), and something that will handle chop at least a little better than my S&S.

So far the X-9 seems to fit the bill when it comes to what I'm looking for. I want to be able to ski, board, and surf. I'm not a pro at any of it, so I don't need the "best" in any of those categories. The 205 hull that was in many different forms was also a thought for me.

I want something that is "better" in chop. I realize neither of these boats are ideal, but they can't be any worse than the back breaking ride of a S&S in anything that's not glass. I'd like a tower, and ballast would be nice, but not essential as I could add that. X9 is my front runner at this point, since I've seen a few from 01-03 for anywhere from 19k to 22k that look like good boats, and a solid price. I don't care about v-drive or direct drive either.

Thoughts?

TxsRiverRat 02-15-2013 03:53 PM

Surely you have you thought of an X7? PS197 hull, adapted to accommodate for boarding....

:popcorn:

clrussell 02-15-2013 03:54 PM

I'm watching... I'll be in the same situation in a few years

Tapatalk

mzimme 02-15-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat (Post 909367)
Surely you have you thought of an X7? PS197 hull, adapted to accommodate for boarding....

:popcorn:

I have, but the incredibly flat bottom has made me weary. I want to be able to take this boat on the ozarks or table rock on busy weekends and be able to survive. I can't do that with my S&S at the moment.

g-Dog 02-15-2013 04:02 PM

I'd say the 205V platform would be ideal for your needs...or maybe I'm just biased.:D

djkslc 02-15-2013 04:07 PM

3 years ago I went from a 91 maristar 210 direct drive to a 2002 Xstar (205V hull) and it was the best decision I may have ever made. Perfect crossover boat. Ski wake is bigger than my direct drive, but I am not good enough to care. We ski, sky ski, wakeboard and surf. Perfect boat for a group of 6 or 7 people that like to do different things behind the boat.

You can probably find an early 2000 for around 25K.

lakeoz tristar 02-15-2013 04:40 PM

What ever happened to the Supra you were looking at?

bobx1 02-15-2013 04:43 PM

Another vote for 205v platform. Best hull MC ever made. Will do both ski and board VERY well.

mzimme 02-15-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeoz tristar (Post 909378)
What ever happened to the Supra you were looking at?

I bought it, but I don't want to keep it. I got the thing for half of what it's worth, I'm going to flip that and buy something else using the equity I build on that and the money I get for selling my S&S. My dad fronted me the cash for the Supra since I can make 12-15 grand flipping it, so I have to pay him back his intial investment, otherwise I would keep the Supra. Honestly though, I want another MC. The supra is definitely nice, but it doesn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Dylan 02-15-2013 05:02 PM

Wow, great find! I'm interested in what you end up with. Are you going to post your build thread on the new Supra?