TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   96 190 Fuel Tank Removal (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=52724)

Juiced190 02-14-2013 12:16 PM

96 190 Fuel Tank Removal
 
In the process of restoring 96 190, I want to remove the fuel tank to clean the tank, replace fuel sending unit, and clean behind the tank. I understand the fuel system is high pressure. Should this cause me any concerns. Do I need to be aware of anything before the removal and install? Thanks.

Table Rocker 02-14-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juiced190 (Post 909079)
In the process of restoring 96 190, I want to remove the fuel tank to clean the tank, replace fuel sending unit, and clean behind the tank. I understand the fuel system is high pressure. Should this cause me any concerns. Do I need to be aware of anything before the removal and install? Thanks.

The high pressure is between the fuel pump (back of the engine) and the injectors, so no problems there.

Getting the tank out isn't too bad. Remove the two hoses at the top of the tank along with the wires to the fuel sending unit. I tied mine up high so they wouldn't leak out all the gas. It wouldn't be a bad idea to note which sending unit post the red wire is on, although I think it works either way. Take the screws out of the clamps that hold the tank to the floor. On my boat, I also took out the black plastic panels that separate the side ski storage from the tank area (2 screws each). The hardest thing to remove for me was the filler hose. I loosened the clamp and then slid the tank forward to give myself a little room. Then just slide the tank out, one end first.

I had to repair my sending unit, so when I had it out I took the tank sump out and cleaned the tank out. I had plastic shavings from when the tank was first put together and a dead field cricket to clean out, but other than that it was clean.

Juiced190 02-14-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Table Rocker (Post 909100)
The high pressure is between the fuel pump (back of the engine) and the injectors, so no problems there.

Getting the tank out isn't too bad. Remove the two hoses at the top of the tank along with the wires to the fuel sending unit. I tied mine up high so they wouldn't leak out all the gas. It wouldn't be a bad idea to note which sending unit post the red wire is on, although I think it works either way. Take the screws out of the clamps that hold the tank to the floor. On my boat, I also took out the black plastic panels that separate the side ski storage from the tank area (2 screws each). The hardest thing to remove for me was the filler hose. I loosened the clamp and then slid the tank forward to give myself a little room. Then just slide the tank out, one end first.

I had to repair my sending unit, so when I had it out I took the tank sump out and cleaned the tank out. I had plastic shavings from when the tank was first put together and a dead field cricket to clean out, but other than that it was clean.


Table Rocker, your the man. Now that's service, an answer in less than 30 min. Thank you!

Table Rocker 02-14-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juiced190 (Post 909105)
Table Rocker, your the man. Now that's service, an answer in less than 30 min. Thank you!

My pleasure, good luck with it. If you don't already have an inline filter on top of the tank, now is a good time to put one there. A WIX 33003 and two hose clamps does the trick.

flya750 02-14-2013 03:16 PM

Check the inlet on the pump as well..there is a small screen that clogs easily....

Also, have you checked the engine water pump.. being a '96 I bet that pump is ready to fail any day now. I replaced my '97 last spring and the pump was shot...rusted inside...etc.

Cloaked 02-14-2013 07:44 PM

Filler hose replacement experience:

Order a new piece of hose and cut the current hose to separate from fuel cell and filler neck. Saves a ton of headache and scratches (or in my experiences). That hose is hardened and is difficult to remove, thus I succumb to a quick cut and replacement.

$0.02

.

thatsmrmastercraft 02-15-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloaked (Post 909192)
Filler hose replacement experience:

Order a new piece of hose and cut the current hose to separate from fuel cell and filler neck. Saves a ton of headache and scratches (or in my experiences). That hose is hardened and is difficult to remove, thus I succumb to a quick cut and replacement.

$0.02

.

Great advice. Been down that road before.

Juiced190 02-15-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloaked (Post 909192)
Filler hose replacement experience:

Order a new piece of hose and cut the current hose to separate from fuel cell and filler neck. Saves a ton of headache and scratches (or in my experiences). That hose is hardened and is difficult to remove, thus I succumb to a quick cut and replacement.

$0.02

.

Thanks for the advice Cloaked, anything that saves time and blood you can count me in on. 👍


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:41 PM.