TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Restorations and Refurbishments (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   1984 Pro Star Resto..(maybe) (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=52594)

Bouyhead 02-04-2013 04:26 PM

1984 Pro Star Resto..(maybe)

2 Attachment(s)
So I picked up this 84 PS 190 over the weekend. It was advertized as a 82 but was an 84'
I had a ton of questions about this vintage but I read the history thread posted by C36 and all the resto threads posted hear and got most thing covered. I thought MC went to all composite in 85' but according to C36 it was 83' Not sure how far I want to go with this project just yet. Seems to be a good candidate for a resto, how deep I go is to be determined. I do have a few questions, some pics attached:
1. Is there a way to check to see if the foam under the floor is soaked?
2. Is the floor fiberglass all the way up to the bow?
3. Is this the original location for the fuse block?
4. Are these the original decals?

Any input or comments are welcome, Thanks!
Attachment 89583
Attachment 89584

jhall0711 02-04-2013 04:35 PM

1. Is there a way to check to see if the foam under the floor is soaked?

The floor and stinger system is bonded all the way around to the dies of the boat. It would be odd (in my opinion) to have water under the floor. If you wanted to check you would have to cut holes in the fiberglass floor.

2. Is the floor fiberglass all the way up to the bow?

Yes. The main contruction of the boat will contain no wood. The only wood in the boat will be the seat bases and side pads.

3. Is this the original location for the fuse block?

I dont think so. My fuses on my 89 are located up under the dash, not in the battery box. I could be wrong on this one as I have not seen too many of these boats up close or investiated that closely. Someone will chime in on this one.

4. Are these the original decals?

No. This would have originally had stars on it. The graphics that are on it are more similar to the 87-90/91-94 decals.

WilliM1940 02-04-2013 05:03 PM

This is a 19' Skier, not a Prostar. I have heard water can get into the foam through the swim platform bracket mounts in the back as the lag bolts loosen. Check for water in the foam by removing selected motor mount bracket bolts. You can access foam from there. These will probably need to be tightened anyway. If the hull is not cracked, the engine sound, and the running gear not damaged, it should be a nice restore.

thatsmrmastercraft 02-04-2013 05:12 PM

Congrats on finding a great project. This is going to be a great thread to watch. When I got my boat, it also had the stars removed and newer Mastercraft lettering on the side in attempt to make it look newer.

mikeg205 02-04-2013 07:49 PM

Not fair - nice project... :) ... can't wait for engine pics....

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

occva 02-04-2013 08:18 PM

It even came with the star keychain!

Jerseydave 02-04-2013 09:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like a nice project, more pics please!

Jim@BAWS can hook you up with the proper decals when you restore.

The red boat in the pic has the proper graphics (Dogpaw's boat from Lake Anna VA)

Attachment 89599

JohnE 02-04-2013 09:35 PM

Nice find Mike. Interestingly somewhere in the past week here I read that wood stringers were sporatically used into 1984 which contradicts everything I've read in the past 10 years. I forget who posted it but is seemed credible when I read it and there is really now way to know for sure

mikeg205 02-04-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerseydave (Post 906748)
Looks like a nice project, more pics please!

Jim@BAWS can hook you up with the proper decals when you restore.

The red boat in the pic has the proper graphics (Dogpaw's boat from Lake Anna VA)

Attachment 89599

There's some gorgeous flake vinyl to make the decals pop - pricey but very nice...here we go spending your money ;)

madcityskier 02-04-2013 09:45 PM

No wood. Looked back at the engine picks in the listing. Motor mounts are a give away. If you're on Facebook check out The MasterCraft Project. Lots of knowledgeable people re: Stars and Stripes there. Mikeg205 turned me on to it. There are a couple amazing projects in the works.
Decals and fuses are definitely not original.