TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Waterskiing & Barefooting (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   1 Ski or 2? Still learning (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=52558)

rkhodges21 01-31-2013 11:30 PM

1 Ski or 2? Still learning

So I have been trying to ski for a couple of summers now. Let me just say though that my average summer is 2 or 3 times out on my parents pontoon. They have a set of skis that I have been trying to get up on. I have gotten up but can still not ride for any length of time. I am wondering if a big problem is the boat which is a tritoon with a 175 Johnson. It has a low tow point. I struggle to get up on a board behind it but I had no problem boarding behind a sea ray and an X15. I want to get behind a decent ski boat and try my hand at it. My big question is should I definitely start out on two skis or would I do ok trying to slalom? Any tips you guys could give me would be great.

jhall0711 02-01-2013 12:06 AM

Will want to be learning on a pair. Once you get good enough to ride those comfortably then you can start thinking about dropping a ski and trying to slalom. If you don't have the balance to ride on 2 skis you will have a 0% of riding 1.

rkhodges21 02-01-2013 12:09 AM

What is a good pair of skis for a 6'1" 260 lb guy?

mikeg205 02-01-2013 08:58 AM

Get a wide pair combo such as HO" 67 inch Blast.

CC2MC 02-01-2013 12:10 PM

Well, I don't think the low tow point is an issue. Most skiers use the ski pole, not a tower, which is more than likely lower than your parents pontoon. Granted, you have about 80lbs on me, but I have gotten up on my wakeboard behind my dads dual toon with a 115hp. It does not yank me up, but it does the job. I agree with Mike. Wider skis are a good choice bc that gives the ski more surface area on the water.

I learned the hard way when I was in HS many years ago. I started on two, dropped one and went skiing around the lake for a good little while just getting used to the feel until I fell nowhere near the dock. I figured it was a good time to learn how to deep water start on a slalom. Thankfully, I got up my first time and skied back to the dock. BTW, this was all behind our 96 Sea Doo GTi with 85hp. Trial by fire. Sometimes the best way to learn.

TxsRiverRat 02-01-2013 12:12 PM

you need to keep those knees bent...

madcityskier 02-01-2013 02:38 PM

Think of the standard athletic position. Awaiting a serve in tennis, ready to play defense in basketball, a shortstop waiting for the pitch... These are all examples of how you should be standing on the skis once you're up. And be sure to keep your eyes up by the horizon. I find it helps to have an attractive woman in the boat to look at.

petermegan 02-01-2013 04:15 PM

If you are having trouble, I recently got a guy up on our boom bar first time on one ski. Second attempt on a long vee handle attached to the boom, third attempt long vee handle out the back. The boom gives the skier the feeling of balance and water under their ski without the difficulties in getting up. I think on our recent holiday we got about 6 learners up on the bar. Not saying two aren't the way to learn though. Have fun.

Cloaked 02-01-2013 06:12 PM

One ski. If you have not mastered or reasonably learned on two, you'll never have a point of reference while learning on one. Forget two.

If you're falling down, you're looking down. Always a rule of thumb (for trick skiers).

Find something on the horizon at which to look.

And make sure that whom ever is instructing you to ski, knows what they are talking about. You'd be surprised... :D

mikeg205 02-01-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloaked (Post 906123)
O

If you're falling down, you're looking down. Always a rule of thumb (for trick skiers).

Find something on the horizon at which to look.

^^ so many shout outs from me - he's goin' down... face above water facing down - body follows.... 90% of time unless rider can pull it out.

Yes find something on horizon to look at....was my biggest issue for slalom deep water starts as well as trying to stand up too early... even on 2.

Best advice is having someone teach you who knows what they are doing... I learned deep water starts in Michigan at Pine Lake Ski School - so I recommend a good teacher. A boom is a great bonus.