TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Engine / Drive Train (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   prop install problem (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=52504)

softailcowboy 01-27-2013 11:13 PM

prop install problem

has anyone had any problems installing a replacement prop that was the same as original. I pulled my old prop (bent) with a puller no problem. tried to install replacement prop but it won't go on far enough to get nut on. the prop shaft splines are clean have no burrs aren't bent look good. but prop won't go over splines on shaft? prop shaft not bent everything looks good. tried rubber mallet to help........no avail...... stumped

sand2snow22 01-27-2013 11:55 PM

Can you start to get it on the splines? You should be able to push it on with your hands enough to get the nut on, then sit down and kick it on with both feet at the same time. Tighten nut, install cotter pin, done...

softailcowboy 01-28-2013 12:48 AM

that's the problem...it won't get on the splines......it feel like it comes up to the splines and then you can't go any farther. I've tried rotating it hitting it with a rubber mallet...nothing..I've chgd props b4 and never had any problems..

Jerseydave 01-28-2013 08:48 AM

I had this problem before. Sometimes the new prop splines are cut so square they won't slide over the shaft splines, or there is a cosmoline coating on them.

Try sliding the prop on backwards to see if it goes on at all that way. If it does, slide it back and forth almost like you're using a file on a piece of metal. This should scuff away any coating or burrs that may be on the splines.

If that doesn't work, take emory paper or sand paper and scuff the splines of your new prop so that it slides on easy. Some vasoline on the shaft splines helps too.

OHpage21 01-28-2013 09:05 PM

X'2 on putting it on backwards. Had the same issue with my new one not going on easily.

Put it on backwards until it lines up. You should be able to get it to slide up onto the shaft. Once its on, it will be a little tough to get back off. The way the prop is fit, wont let you use the puller without using a deep well socket to add some space between the end of the shaft and the threaded point on the puller.

I used this method a few times putting it on and off. Went on in the correct direction very easily after.

CC2MC 01-29-2013 12:30 AM

Backwards, huh? That's a new one to me. I guess that makes sense.

softailcowboy 01-29-2013 07:11 AM

tried the emery cloth yesterday both on prop and shaft...nothing. tried putting prop on backwards same. when the prop comes up to the splines on the shaft that's it. it won't go any farther. tried rotating prop and givin it some love with a rubber mallet all with same result. the splines are not engaging.........

bturner2 01-29-2013 09:44 AM

Whose prop is it? OJ? It shouldn't be that hard. I'd be giving the manufacture a call by now.

EJ OJPROP 01-29-2013 10:59 AM

Steven - Is this the second prop we sent that you received last Friday? As I said, all the splined props we make have a splined mandrel run through them before they are boxed and a few times as they are processed.

bturner2 01-29-2013 11:36 AM

So my next question then would be.... Did the splines on the prop shaft get twisted from the strike. I was running a SS prop on an Wellcraft I had and ran into a submerged island. The force actually twisted the splines on the prop shaft.