TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Anyone have a three legged dog? (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=52471)

gid 01-25-2013 08:47 AM

Anyone have a three legged dog?

1 Attachment(s)
Last Saturday our dog, Bullwinkle, was hit by a car. We found him, rushed to the vet.
Major breaks on the left hip / pelvic. Surgery was done; plates, screws, lag bolts - now it appears he has nerve damage and he is in pain (he is still on the max pain medicine) and the vet is suggesting removing the left left.

Our concern is his right pelvic was broken too, only one break though (left side had 5 and the hip socket was shattered) The vet feels the right will be fine once healed. And are we rushing this decision? We researched the vet - top guy, great reviews by other vets and such. I trust him

The dog just turned two this week, very fit, very strong - he is 60 lbs and very sensitive, drama king.

IF we do this he will be at the vet for another 2 weeks for healing of the pelvic and such.

Anyone out there w. a three legged dog - how is his/her life? I read where dogs are very adaptive. I just want him to be home, pain free and be able to walk. He is a very loving soul

CruisinGA 01-25-2013 08:50 AM

Buddy has a 3- legged english setter. Same thing- hit by a car.

Saw the dog around Christmas, seemed to be getting along fine!

h2oskifreak 01-25-2013 08:58 AM

Sorry to hear that man. I have a friend who is a vet tech. and she sees this too often. Her own vet just amputated his own dobermans leg at a much older age. I asked how the dog was doing and she said "great, a little depressed for the first 1-2 weeks, but is doing much better now". Just like people, everyone/dog is unique but I hear from a pretty good source they are resilient. Good luck to you family at this tough time.

milkmania 01-25-2013 09:03 AM

I've seen them, don't have one.... they don't seem to be slowed down by much.
Old timer that comes to the coffee shop has a catahoula cow dog missing right front leg, never has any problem jumping up or down from his flatbed. He is just as fast as his running mate.

BrianM 01-25-2013 09:42 AM

My dad has a 3 legged 80+ pound lab. He was hit by a car when he was just over 1. He's almost 8 now. Doesn't miss a beat. He'll still chase a ball all day long.

Do it. Once the dog heals he won't know the difference.

LTWon 01-25-2013 09:57 AM

I am sorry for your situation. I have no idea what i would do. I am very happy it sounds like he will make a full recovery. Wish you and your pup the best!

pmkkdx 01-25-2013 09:59 AM

I agree with the others on moving forward. My dad had a blue healer that got hit by car, shattered right side pelvis including ball/socket & fractured left pelvis only. Vet amputated right hind leg, he was fine after recovery period and it didn't hamper him much at all. I told dad he should change his name from Smokie to Tripod ...

gid 01-25-2013 10:07 AM

Thanks to all for the prompt reply. Good group of folks here :) I just got off the phone with the vet - no changes over night, Bullwinkle can bear weight on the right leg (mostly, still recoverying from surgery) and that leg seems to be fine. The left is another story - some feeling, lots of bone fragments floating around, signs of nerve damage and pain. We, Wife and I, do not have kids (both in our late 40's) and these two dogs (Rocky and Bullwinkle) bring us lots of happiness. Both are very sweet good dogs.
I am waiting for wife to arrive at work and have a discussion - appears the surgery (about an hour of surgery time) will take place this afternoon.

mustangtexas 01-25-2013 10:09 AM

The dog down the road from us got hit by a truck, lost his leg, and still chases trucks.

stuartmcnair 01-25-2013 11:43 AM

losing a rear leg is much easier on a dog than losing a front leg. Friend had a dog that lost rear leg and still ran all over the place using it like a spring.