TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New to Boating-Advice on 05 X-2 (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=52445)

radchad3 01-22-2013 08:06 PM

New to Boating-Advice on 05 X-2

Hello everyone! I am new to the boating scene and would like some advice on a boat I would like to buy. First off, the boat would be for my wife and I. We would mainly be using it to wakeboard, a little skiing, and for general lake entertainment. Would be carrying 4-8 people. I have looked through the boat buying FAQ but wanted to get the forum's thoughts.

The boat is a 2005 X-2. Features include:

- 1 owner- no problems ever according to the owner
- 100 hrs on MCX motor
- Bimini Top
- Single axle trailer
- 2 tower speakers (unsure on brand)
- Teak platform
- Perfect pass
- No aftermarket parts that I know of
- All maintenance done.
- On a lift during the summer, in heated storage during the winter
- $37k

The story on the boat seems good but being new to boats I am a little hesitant to purchase a boat without getting it into the water (it is winter in this neck of the woods).

1. Is that asking price reasonable for this boat?
2. Is there anything I need to be looking for in this particular year/model?
3. Would you buy a boat without a test spin?

Any other thoughts?

Thank you all very much for the insight and am very excited to become part of the MC family, whether it be soon or down the road!

Chad

mikeg205 01-22-2013 08:12 PM

Here read this thread chad...great write up by easttx. The only thing that needs adding is that for the first season you have to tow a fellow Team Talker at least 10 times. If this was Australia you would get towed 10 times :)

buying tips

j.mccreight@hotmail.com 01-22-2013 08:13 PM

Based on my short price check $37k is average for that year and model, the early-mid models had issues with the vinyl splitting and I would not buy without a test drive.

example

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=35564
Changed url, sorry

sand2snow22 01-22-2013 08:19 PM

Too much money for that boat, especially with single axle trailer.

Thrall 01-22-2013 08:28 PM

Have the real engine hours checked off of the ecm. 100hrs for a midwest boat on a lift all summer for the last 7 years seems too low.
However, if it does have only 100hrs it should show. The boat should look like new everywhere, no wear and tear.
If it was super clean I wouldn't have a problem buying it without dropping it in the water provided you could run it, fill the ballast etc.
Fill all the ballast to make sure the pumps all work and no cacks in the tanks. Should be a port to fill from on the ballast manifold if it's the same as 06 models.
Run the engine up to temp.
05's have the new tower too, right? That's a bonus if you ahve to fold it up alot and they have swivel racks.
I think 05 was past the bad years for vinyl as well.
Price does seem a bit high for a mid winter deal, but 205V's are arguably MC's best do-it all hull and near the top as a wakeboat. They hold their value well.

radchad3 01-22-2013 08:55 PM

mikeg205: Thanks for the link, I have read that and seems like very good advice!

j.mcc: thanks for the thoughts. That is my biggest sticking part right now....the lack of a test drive!

sand2snow: thank you, what would you consider a good price? I was thinking around $35?

Thrall: I will def be checking the hours as it is a chevy. Sounds like he sold his cabin 2.5 years ago so hasn't used it much at all since then. This may be a partial reason for the low hours. Would taking it to a MC dealer to have it checked out be a reasonable move? Probably the biggest thing is the lack of test driving. Seems some say a thorough run through is good enough, others say absolutely not without a test. Not sure what to do!

Other thoughts? Is the vinyl in 2005 past the problem years for sure?

vision 01-22-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sand2snow22 (Post 903701)
Too much money for that boat, especially with single axle trailer.

Absolutely agree.

Arguably the best year for the 205V (newer tower and better materials on the dash than the 2006+ X1s). But significantly over priced at least for our area. My 2005 X2 was about that price brand new!

scharette 01-22-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radchad3 (Post 903717)
mikeg205: Thanks for the link, I have read that and seems like very good advice!

j.mcc: thanks for the thoughts. That is my biggest sticking part right now....the lack of a test drive!

sand2snow: thank you, what would you consider a good price? I was thinking around $35?

Thrall: I will def be checking the hours as it is a chevy. Sounds like he sold his cabin 2.5 years ago so hasn't used it much at all since then. This may be a partial reason for the low hours. Would taking it to a MC dealer to have it checked out be a reasonable move? Probably the biggest thing is the lack of test driving. Seems some say a thorough run through is good enough, others say absolutely not without a test. Not sure what to do!

Other thoughts? Is the vinyl in 2005 past the problem years for sure?

Hello, i have a 2005 x2 and for sure its a super all around hull. On mine it had something like 700 hours when i purchased it . The vinyl on the engine hatch and on the front seat is cracked. also i had to replace 2 ballast pump and some impeller in the others pumps. other than that. no problem with the boat.. i paid a little less than 33k 3 years ago.

Last thing, make sure you inspect the brake and change the tires on the trailer. The brake on a boat trailer need a lot of love..

GoneBoatN 01-22-2013 09:57 PM

Since it is winter, you should be able to find a boat mechanic to evaluate the condition for a reasonable price. Sometimes during the summer the boat mechanics are so busy it is hard to get the boat scheduled for evaluation in short order. Since you can not do a test drive, I would highly recommend it being evaluated by an mechanic independent of the deal. $35-37k is a lot of investment to be balking over $100-200. Maybe work it out with the owner as far as who eats the if repair costs are over a certain amount. Find out how much it will cost and if someone is available to do it.

So is the reason you can not do a test drive is that the water is actually frozen over or the air temps make it a concern that the block will freeze so fast you will not have the bit of time that it takes to winterize the boat to the point of freeze prevention? It takes less than an hour to winterize (dry block) an MCX and the couple other items (shower, heater) that may need taken care of immediately if they are even present in the boat. You are talking about a major investment... I agree with prior comment - test run is highly advisable. My :twocents:

radchad3 01-22-2013 10:36 PM

Thanks Goneboat! I live a couple hours north of the seller and there is no open water here. I didn't specifically ask if the water was open down there. I guess I figured in Jan it would not be feasible to expect to get the boat out on the water. Assuming that I could get it out, and everything checked out, what is a reasonable price to pay for the boat?

What was the approximate cost of the boat new? Someone mentioned $37? If so, that means this guys is breaking almost even for 7 years of ownership....seems unrealistic to me.