TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   suggestions on transporting tv? (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=52321)

turbofresh 01-11-2013 12:16 PM

suggestions on transporting tv?

anybody have suggestions on transporting a 55 inch led tv from one city to another an hour apart via SUV? its previously owned so its not in its original box.

thanks in advance

mikeg205 01-11-2013 12:22 PM

Wrap it in bubble wrap and and drive slow.

CruisinGA 01-11-2013 12:25 PM

thick cardboard or plywood to protect the screen.

Ski-me 01-11-2013 12:58 PM

I think if you keep it more "upright" the glass will travel better and be less prone to breaking. If it's laying flat and you hit a large bump, the energy could be transferred more directly to a piece of glass horizontally. Vertically, they are stronger. Just think about glass company trucks, they are all in a more "vertical" position when transporting. I'm thinking the same type of principle.

With that said, I've moved our 60" plasma flat for about 1/2 mile without any issues and a lot of blankets/padding.

turbofresh 01-11-2013 01:02 PM

id have to agree with the upright standing i do think that is the best idea. i also heard plasmas are more delicate then lcd/led.

ski-me, what kind of vehicle did you have the 60" in?

Tristarboarder 01-11-2013 01:07 PM

I see that you are in the SW, which means maybe a warm climate (for this time of year). This is what I did, though it may sound funny...Wrap it up with bubble wrap and cardboard, stand it up on several blankets in the back of a truck, and have a buddy either drive or you drive and sit in the back of the bed and physically hold the tv for the trip. If it isn't too cold, should work out. This is what I did, had my father in law drive while I held my 56" (didn't trust anyone else to hold it) while he drove slowly to the new destination. Worked out great, and I felt every bump and wouldn't let it sway even an inch...

turbofresh 01-11-2013 01:15 PM

I have thought about that too and that's probably what its going to come down to. just need to find the trusting person haha. I honestly don't care if it takes 3x the amount of time to get it home its just gotta be in 1 piece. well.. preferably 1 piece.

TxsRiverRat 01-11-2013 01:28 PM

When i assisted my bro in law transport his new tv from best buy to his house, he had to ride in the bed of the pickup with it, as the center of gravity was way too high and tying the box was not working out

Ski-me 01-11-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbofresh (Post 901093)
id have to agree with the upright standing i do think that is the best idea. i also heard plasmas are more delicate then lcd/led.

ski-me, what kind of vehicle did you have the 60" in?

In a suburban but I couldn't stand it upright. I haven't needed to transport a long way (only a few blocks), so I layed it flat. Longer distance I might be a little more concerned. But, if you padded the heck out of it (especially on the bottom floor), you might be OK transporting flat.....:)

TRBenj 01-11-2013 04:12 PM

Why not put the screen side up against the seat back of the back seat (car/SUV), and then brace it with soft materials (blankets, cardboard, etc) to make sure it stays there? Screen face down on the floor would make me nervous... but maybe if it were on a bed of pillows/blankets it would be alright.