TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Ballast (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   2 pumps into 1 sack? (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=52273)

XStar08 01-07-2013 02:34 PM

2 pumps into 1 sack?

Hi, wanted to ask if you see a problem if I have 2 pumps connected with 3-way valves to sacks and filling sometimes only one sack using two pumps (the hoses (seize) would not be changed, guess I have 1'' hoses in my 2008 XStar).

Thanks, XStar08

CC2MC 01-07-2013 11:10 PM

I am no expert by any stretch on this as I am just getting into the world of pumps and ballast myself. It seems to me that the 1" tubing can only handle so much water going through at one time and there would be a little of a bottle neck where the two pump tubes meet, provided I am understanding this correctly. Unless both pumps each have their own set of tubing. If they do, then I would think you would have to worry about venting in the sac. You have pics?

bsloop 01-08-2013 09:11 AM

Depends on your pumps.

As mentioned depends on how much volume pumps are flowing.
Bilge pumps like Tsunami or Rule should not be affected. Not sure I would do it with a Jabsco style impeller pump.

Try it and listen for the pumps sounding like they are working harder or getting hot. Also time the fill to see if there was any benifit.

Double D 01-08-2013 09:24 AM

I am going to stay away from commenting in this thread since it could go down hill quick with a title like that..... :rolleyes:

CantRepeat 01-08-2013 09:58 AM

I run two ballast puppy pumps into one sack but each pump has it's own line and fitting on the sack.

If you are talking about running two pumps into the same line I would bet you'd have to have one way valves inline or at some point the pumps would just start trying to pump against each other.

willyt 01-08-2013 11:04 AM

i'm going to vote we rename this thread: 2 pumps, 1 sac

I wouldn't do it. the headaches it would cause would outweigh any benefit.

milkmania 01-08-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double D (Post 900266)
I am going to stay away from commenting in this thread since it could go down hill quick with a title like that..... :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by willyt (Post 900288)
i'm going to vote we rename this thread: 2 pumps, 1 sac

http://therideinstyle.com/rimshot.gif

XStar08 01-09-2013 12:53 AM

Ok, thx folks. I came to this idea via CantRepeat, he was talking in another thread and also did in this one that he is sometimes using two pumps to fill one sack.

I was also thinking about a possible bottle neck due to the relatively small diameter hoses. In such a set up one would need to use 4 Y connectors (2 puppys connected to 2 sacks), 2 of the Y connectors would need to be 2 way valves as they are sold by wakemakers.

Guess I should test it outside the boat first...

The idea was to have 2 trough hull inlets, the factory one and another one. With the fligh high system I would have added 2 more puppys (impeller) and they would have been connected with such a set up (also) to the rear tanks, just to be able to use them to help fill whatever is needed to be full.

Since a lot of you experienced ballasters ;) anyway recon leaving the stock rear tanks empty I guess it is not worth the time spending to test such a setup...well, I'll see what I can do, just and only for the sience part of the project :D

CantRepeat 01-09-2013 03:33 AM

I don't think you would get much time saving on filling a 400 lb sack with two pumps. Sure it would be about x2 as fast if you had two pumps with dedicated through hulls and dedicated lines going to each sack. But on an 8 or 10 minute fill is worth the money to drop 4 minutes?

On the other hand, if you are trying to fill a single 1500 lb sack that takes 20 to 25 minutes to fill and empty I could see the benefit. The cost in parts and labor to cut that time down to 10 minutes would be worth it to me.

medicmoose 01-09-2013 07:19 AM

One thing to watch, if you do end up using a factory thru-hull to tie in an additional pump, is that you don't try to fill a factory tank and a Fly-High bag at the same time if they are tied into the same thru-hull. This can "starve" the pump and you'll either burn through impellers or burn up a pump.