TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   General / Other (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Airguide Speedometer Conversion to GPS (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=52268)

Classic Boatworks 01-06-2013 11:08 PM

Airguide Speedometer Conversion to GPS

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am holding in my grimy little hands the first Airguide speedometer prototype conversion to GPS. I tested this prototype today and it appears to be working well.

No more leaks or clogs!

Stand by….
Dean
Classic Boatworks

mikeg205 01-06-2013 11:09 PM

Really :) can't wait to see pics.. and a good price... :)

Classic Boatworks 01-06-2013 11:31 PM

How am I going to get rich if I give "a good price" :firejump:

Seriously, it is too soon to talk price. It will be competitive.

From the front it will look no different. Some modification of the back of the case will be necessary and I need to explore the best internal mounting solution. Right now it fits into the current internal mechanism holder after removing all mechanical parts. A bit awkward my first try. I will work on this aspect. Hopefully, I can show photos of the internal circuit soon. All my questions are not yet answered but I am pretty excited about being able to offer this option soon.

mikeg205 01-06-2013 11:34 PM

lol... Ok...$325 is the benchmark... ;) vs. smart phone... included ;)... love the idea...

Classic Boatworks 01-06-2013 11:47 PM

Yeah, but a smart phone doesn't look nearly as cool!

east tx skier 01-07-2013 10:08 AM

Cool idea. Good luck. Will probably stick with my pitot driven Airguide though. I already have SG, and it is nice to be able to compare speed over water to speed over ground when we are on the river.

mikeg205 01-07-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classic Boatworks (Post 900030)
Yeah, but a smart phone doesn't look nearly as cool!

You are correct sir!

Classic Boatworks 01-07-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by east tx skier (Post 900064)
Cool idea. Good luck. Will probably stick with my pitot driven Airguide though. I already have SG, and it is nice to be able to compare speed over water to speed over ground when we are on the river.

What kind of differences do you see and how is this relevant to skiing? This is a river issue and not applicable to lake use?
Thanks,
Dean

east tx skier 01-07-2013 02:51 PM

For free skiing, it affects how fast I am moving relative to the water. A boat traveling at 34 mph on the gps in a 2 mph current feels faster or slower to the skier depending on if the boat is traveling with or against the current. Having a traditional speedo (assuming I calibrated it in open water) to compare to the GPS gives me an idea of how much I would want to adjust the speed control to counteract the current.

This is a nonissue in a slalom course since speed over ground, which GPS measures, is all we care about. But in a slalom course, I'm relying on speed control and not paying much attention to my airguide.

Not bagging on your idea. I actually think it's really great. I'm just pointing out one of the advantages, for some, of having a traditional speedo in addition to a GPS speedo.

Classic Boatworks 01-07-2013 03:02 PM

I didn't think you were "bagging". I just never really understood the importance of speed over water vs. speed over ground. I do understand the effect of current but not in relationship to skiing. As with all things it won't be for everybody... darn it!
Thanks,
Dean