TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Trailers (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Trailer Maintenance (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=52236)

dvsone79 01-02-2013 12:01 PM

Trailer Maintenance
 
1 Attachment(s)
I'm wondering what you guys do for trailer maintenance. Particularly, the wheel bearings. Sometime this past season, one of the trailer buddy bras came off one one of the wheels of my trailer, so the grease was exposed to water and such (not sure when it came off, but it was there at the start of the season). I've got a replacement coming, but how often do you guys replace wheel bearings/grease/etc., and are there any products you recommend?

thatsmrmastercraft 01-02-2013 12:31 PM

The Bearing Buddy, if properly filled, is under a slight amount of pressure and won't let any water in if the dust cover falls off. Under the FAQ section on the Bearing Buddy website, they address the time and replacement interval. As long as you keep the grease filled properly, and you don't feel any amount of play with the axle jacked up and attempting to move the wheel in and out, or feel any roughness while turning the wheel, there isn't any real need to do anything. I always recommend that a good quality grease should be kept in the grease gun and used on everything. A guy doesn't go through so much grease that paying a few bucks extra for the better grease makes a difference.

Skipper 01-02-2013 01:16 PM

Each season I clean and repack the bearings on my '95 trailer. That little rubber cover on the bearing buddy is great for keeping dust and debris out of the mechanism. They can be purchased separately from the bearing buddy.

mikeg205 01-02-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skipper (Post 899173)
Each season I clean and repack the bearings on my '95 trailer. That little rubber cover on the bearing buddy is great for keeping dust and debris out of the mechanism. They can be purchased separately from the bearing buddy.

^^+1 - I do the same. Also I use a good grease like Thats... recommends...a synthetic has better hot performance and better anti-washout characteristics.

I use http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ic_Grease.aspx

Regarding the water intrusion, there's some that get's in depending on the temp of the hub and the temp of the water. Coming off the road and dropping in the water will cause a quick change in temp which will cause some water to get sucked in....hence the pressure on the bearing buddy mechanism.



I trailer from Chicago to Kenora, Ont. every year 1400 miles round trip so I always inspect and repack.

Don't forget your tires on the trailer maintenance - they need a good inspection as well if over 2 years old... I know a guy who can get you a deal on tires ;)

thatsmrmastercraft 01-02-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg205 (Post 899176)
^^+1 - I do the same. Also I use a good grease like Thats... recommends...a synthetic has better hot performance and better anti-washout characteristics.

I use http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ic_Grease.aspx

Regarding the water intrusion, there's some that get's in depending on the temp of the hub and the temp of the water. Coming off the road and dropping in the water will cause a quick change in temp which will cause some water to get sucked in....hence the pressure on the bearing buddy mechanism.



I trailer from Chicago to Kenora, Ont. every year 1400 miles round trip so I always inspect and repack.

Don't forget your tires on the trailer maintenance - they need a good inspection as well if over 2 years old... I know a guy who can get you a deal on tires ;)

Remember to look for any cracks in the sidewall (don't forget to look at the inside sidewall) as well as tread separation and bulges in the sidewall (again both outside and inside). Check DOT code for manufacture date. Running any tires over five years old is working on borrowed time.

byronic 01-02-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg205 (Post 899176)
^^+1 - I do the same. Also I use a good grease like Thats... recommends...a synthetic has better hot performance and better anti-washout characteristics.

I use http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ic_Grease.aspx

Regarding the water intrusion, there's some that get's in depending on the temp of the hub and the temp of the water. Coming off the road and dropping in the water will cause a quick change in temp which will cause some water to get sucked in....hence the pressure on the bearing buddy mechanism.



I trailer from Chicago to Kenora, Ont. every year 1400 miles round trip so I always inspect and repack.

Don't forget your tires on the trailer maintenance - they need a good inspection as well if over 2 years old... I know a guy who can get you a deal on tires ;)

Kenora,originally called Rat Portage. Can't wait to hear that story.

mikeg205 01-02-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by byronic (Post 899249)
Kenora,originally called Rat Portage. Can't wait to hear that story.

what story?...;)

GoneBoatN 01-02-2013 11:20 PM

Good info about bearing inspection and replacement at http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wheelbearingpack.aspx.

In general I agree with not needing to replace the bearings unless an issue. However, bearings and races don't cost that much. I had an old boat/trailer that was neglected by previous owners. I decided to replace the bearings because I figured it had not been done in 15 years. The trailer needed a lot of other TLC so doing the bearings at the time just made sense.

If your trailer is stored outside then every year or two it may be worth replacing the brake fluid. I was told that brake fluid likes to attract water and is worse if subjected to quick temperature changes and humidity. I store my trailer in a garage but still flush and fill the brake fluid every couple of years just to be safe. Given the number of times I hear about rusty master cylinders I think this practice is justified.

thatsmrmastercraft 01-02-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoneBoatN (Post 899265)
Good info about bearing inspection and replacement at http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wheelbearingpack.aspx.

In general I agree with not needing to replace the bearings unless an issue. However, bearings and races don't cost that much. I had an old boat/trailer that was neglected by previous owners. I decided to replace the bearings because I figured it had not been done in 15 years. The trailer needed a lot of other TLC so doing the bearings at the time just made sense.

If your trailer is stored outside then every year or two it may be worth replacing the brake fluid. I was told that brake fluid likes to attract water and is worse if subjected to quick temperature changes and humidity. I store my trailer in a garage but still flush and fill the brake fluid every couple of years just to be safe. Given the number of times I hear about rusty master cylinders I think this practice is justified.

Brake fluid is designed to absorb water. Condensation shouldn't be an issue in a brake system, but since this isn't a perfect world, changing it once in a while is not a bad plan.

dvsone79 01-03-2013 10:01 AM

Great info guys. The trailer seems to be in overall good condition, and it is stored in a detached garage year round. I've got it jacked up right now, but my jack stands weren't quite tall enough to get the tires completely off the ground. Its just enough to take the pressure off of them. So I'll have to lift them up one at a time to do the rotation test.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:38 PM.