TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Engine / Drive Train (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   wow those exhaust bolts are IN there. . . tips for removal? (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=51918)

strad 12-08-2012 06:16 PM

wow those exhaust bolts are IN there. . . tips for removal?

I already hit them with penetrating oil (pb blaster). It's not an urgent project, but I would like to address the manifold to riser gaskets and also the rust stains on the manifolds (latter is why I would like to remove them). I'm also a little afraid that I'll have to replace them based on the amount of rust pieces that I got and am still getting out the manifold drains. So yeah, manifold bolts should come out.

I have a two-foot breaker bar, but frankly I'm afraid to put any more torque on it than I have for fear of rounding out the allen holes. I'll probably hit them a few more times with penetrating oil just to see what happens, but would like to have as many ideas as possible.

It's an 84 351 PCM, and I'm pretty sure the bolts have never been removed. So they're in there about as tight as you'd expect lol.

Cloaked 12-08-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strad (Post 894813)
.......... the manifold to riser gaskets and also the rust stains on the manifolds (latter is why I would like to remove them).

Is it broken or just not visually pleasing?

A few days of penetrant may or may not do it. Give it a few days but also approach it the way you have been. No more forced torque in my opinion. I'd hate to have to deal with that under less than ideal conditions, when in fact, it wasn't broken in the first place, but I'm also more practical than obsessed with things that make you go "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..."

Snipe 12-08-2012 06:57 PM

Try a penetrating oil called "Kroil" that stuff really works. It's a little pricey, but you get what you pay for. I have used it in the shop before retiring, and NOTHING beats it. Just type the word "Kroil" into your browser and it will take you to their site. If that doesn't do it, about the only thing left is heat. Lots of it. Best of luck....

Cloaked 12-08-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snipe (Post 894815)
Try a penetrating oil called "Kroil" that stuff really works. It's a little pricey, but you get what you pay for. I have used it in the shop before retiring, and NOTHING beats it. Just type the word "Kroil" into your browser and it will take you to their site. If that doesn't do it, about the only thing left is heat. Lots of it. Best of luck....

+1 on Kroil. I also have it in my shop.

1redTA 12-08-2012 07:28 PM

you could always try some heat

03geetee 12-08-2012 08:08 PM

I can come down there and yell at it for you, worked a few times.

Seriously keep at it, go slow and if it snaps then it snaps and we re invent a new approach.

JTR

strad 12-08-2012 08:12 PM

I may just leave it alone for the time being lol. It's one of those things that would be nice to renew but not at the expense of making a mess.

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to remove the heads with the manifolds installed? The idea being that, if it was possible, in the event I decided to put GT40 heads on I would use new manifolds and not worry about the problem with the old heads. Probably sounds like a newb question but the only other engine I've done a head gasket on, it was possible to remove the head with all the manifolds still installed.

zsqure 12-08-2012 08:25 PM

Do a google search. Somewhere I read ATF and acetone mixed together in equal amounts works better than most penetrating oils.

Jerseydave 12-08-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strad (Post 894824)
I may just leave it alone for the time being lol. It's one of those things that would be nice to renew but not at the expense of making a mess.

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to remove the heads with the manifolds installed? The idea being that, if it was possible, in the event I decided to put GT40 heads on I would use new manifolds and not worry about the problem with the old heads. Probably sounds like a newb question but the only other engine I've done a head gasket on, it was possible to remove the head with all the manifolds still installed.

^Only if you can get at all of the head bolts, otherwise no.

Try smacking the heads of the manifold bolts with a hammer a few strikes first. Sometimes the shock of the hammer smacking them will help. Good luck.

ctjahn 12-09-2012 07:17 AM

riser bolts

My riser bolts were a total pia.... but they were not allen type head (standard hex).

3 out of 5 brok off at the head but once I removed the risers I was able to get to the remaining parts. I used PB, Time, hammer, and a tighten, loosen, tighten, loosen technique. (Sounds like you are doing the whole manafold?)

Took me about 2 hours total time but they sat while working on other stuff soaking across several weekends...

Best of luck
Cj