TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Ballast (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Cracked Ballast Tank - Help (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=50050)

TKWakeboarder 08-07-2012 02:30 PM

Cracked Ballast Tank - Help

I just recently found a small crack on the top seam of my port ballast tank. 06, X-Star. I always drain them over the winter, I just believe the pressure from them filling into the secondary tanks may have caused the crack. Has anyone ever had to patch the plastic tanks? And if so, how have you done it?

Thanks

haroldbrogers 08-07-2012 02:38 PM

I have the same issue with my center tank on an X15, tried JB weld, it held for a little while but then blew off. Trying to figure what is my next plan of attack.

lukedeuce 08-07-2012 04:16 PM

Plastic weld would probably be the best solution. It would ensure no leaks and is fairly strong when done correctly.

Rossterman 08-07-2012 10:36 PM

Probably need to use a plastic welder. You can buy a gun and welding rods at harbor freight cheap but you may want to consider having a body shop weld it as it is somewhat tricky.

myerin 08-23-2013 11:04 AM

We've been cleaning and scuffing the area up and then coating with 3m 5200. So far its worked just fine.

NoSubstitute 11-26-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rossterman (Post 866291)
Probably need to use a plastic welder. You can buy a gun and welding rods at harbor freight cheap ...

I purchased the a Urethane Supply model 5600HT from Amazon for $150 and have found it to be a great tool for these kind of fixes. I haven't done a ballast tank yet, but I've fixed a radiator overflow tank, a fairing on a moped, and an inner fender liner on my car. I've found a lot of uses for it and it has already paid for itself.

Jerseydave 11-26-2013 06:15 PM

This might be a good reason/chance for you to really improve your wake and bypass those rear tanks. I did this years ago, now I have (2) 720 lb. FlyHi X-star sacs plumbed in place of the rear tanks. They fill/empty automatically just like the hard tanks did and you will have over 1400 lbs. where it's needed most.....at the rear corners of the boat. Fill the KGB and add a 750 sac to the walkway and your wake will be awesome! (You can always just fill the rear sacs 1/2 way or less if desired)

The 720 in the port locker helps a lot with surfing too.

Regarding fixing yours, plastic weld should work the best. MAC TOOL and SNAP-ON both sell plastic welders if you want to try that.

Jager 12-19-2013 09:55 PM

Just pulled the floor board up on my 07 Star and have the same problem.. The port tank is leaking just up from the tank sending unit along that round hole seam... Finding a polyethylene welder is becoming difficult... I run an 1100 in the rear locker and it fills and drains thru the stock port tank vent nipple.. It's been flawless for 3 years..

TKWakeboarder 01-03-2014 03:12 PM

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I was able to take it to a body shop who plastic welded it. Seems to be working so far. If anyone needs a walkthrough as to how to remove the port side hard tank on a 03'-10' X-Star, let me know. It was not fun, and im sure whoever is up for the challenge could use some direction.

onewheat 01-03-2014 05:41 PM

A good plastic weld will be stronger than the surrounding plastic. I have welded many ATV fenders/body bits. They are amazingly strong.