TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Ballast (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Ballast timers that ACTUALLY WORK! (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=50038)

tr6coug 08-07-2012 03:04 AM

Ballast timers that ACTUALLY WORK!

First off, much thanks to Skeeler for donating some old ballast timers for experimenting with!

I finally have a ballast timer solution that works. After a few beers and some reverse engineering, I was able to rewrite the firmware that controls the ballast timer. I got rid of all of the crappy logic that they tried to use to detect when the tanks are empty. They now work as a timed switch that will fill/empty for a set amount of time then turn off. No more turning them on only to have them shut off after 5 seconds.

Now, to reprogram them is not for the feint of heart. You need to pull the timer box, remove the modules, take the modules apart, connect a programmer, reprogram, then reassemble. It also requires a special programmer and the correct firmware file. But, if anyone on here is as big of a geek about this stuff as I am, you have the tools and you want to reprogram your timers, let me know, I'll send you the file and tell you how to do it.

Here is a picture of the setup I used but you can use other programmers also.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...5_478Small.jpg

Fab 08-07-2012 03:50 AM

Wow, interesting but looks hard to do, even for a geek like me ;)

How do you connect the module to your reprogrammer ? need to weld some wires ? And how much for that MPLAB PM3 ?

ttu 08-07-2012 06:59 AM

what address can i send you my timers to be reprogramed? heck you can even sell the 20 minute timers i added that i can't get to program

snork 08-07-2012 09:16 AM

I have one more you can reprogram :)

BrooksfamX2 08-07-2012 10:01 AM

tr6coug reprogrammed mine and they work great. The OEM were flakey at best and now after about 25 days of actual use, they have performed flawless............:D

Hey, I think thats a picture of my timers being reprogrammed.........:cool:

tr6coug 08-09-2012 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fab (Post 865957)
Wow, interesting but looks hard to do, even for a geek like me ;)

How do you connect the module to your reprogrammer ? need to weld some wires ? And how much for that MPLAB PM3 ?

The timer has a programming port (thanks Jabsco!) on the board, so no soldering is required. the PM3 programmer is about $900, but it is WAY overkill for this application, but I have it so I use it. You can use any cheap programmer that supports Microchip products.

If anyone wants to tackle this, let me know and I'll hook you up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooksfamX2 (Post 866003)
tr6coug reprogrammed mine and they work great. The OEM were flakey at best and now after about 25 days of actual use, they have performed flawless............:D

Hey, I think thats a picture of my timers being reprogrammed.........:cool:

Yup, Brooks is my Guinea Pig this year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snork (Post 865993)
I have one more you can reprogram :)

Cool, send me a PM.

Several people asked me about doing this for them, so I set it up on my website. www.wakeblaster.com . I think the cost is reasonable, basically covers my time for disassembly, programming, test, reassembly etc. I'm always open to trading for beer though :D

willyt 08-09-2012 08:57 AM

i hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate my timers. Any idea if this will work in the 2007 timers? I'll package them up and send tomorrow if it will... I'll even ship a case of beer to you

ttu 08-09-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willyt (Post 866734)
i hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate my timers. Any idea if this will work in the 2007 timers? I'll package them up and send tomorrow if it will... I'll even ship a case of beer to you

yes! i have already been in contact with eric to get rid of the damm things in my 07 x2! you will probably beat me to it since i have to get up to the storage to pull the box.:mad: hopefully this weekend.

tr6coug 08-09-2012 01:30 PM

Yup, the '07 timers are what I reprogrammed in my boat.

197 TT 08-09-2012 01:54 PM

Just curious if we will be able to adjust the fill times (like you can with stock timers) after you re-program?