TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Trailers (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   how do you get your xstar on the trailer? (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=48591)

Dan2060 06-19-2012 10:20 AM

how do you get your xstar on the trailer?

Ok, peeps. I hate to admit it, but I have he** getting my xstar on the trailer. I came from a runabout and could load it with my eyes closed. I understand this comes from the fact that the outdrive is easier to manuever than the x stars rudder.
I've tried gentle power off/on to help steering, putting the wheel wells 2 inches under water, etc.

Any tips would be great. How deep do you put your trailer, how do you steer, etc.

Jason.H. 06-19-2012 10:48 AM

Well I dont have an x-star but when getting my tristar out I barely put my trailer in the water. I have a single axle mastercraft trailer and I put it in until the water is level or just under the front foot step on the trailer in front of the wheel well. This makes the top of the wheel well probably three inches out of water. If I go in any deep the nose of the bow hits the front pulley instead of riding over it and/or the toe ring hit the v-bunk. I also soak my bunks with liquid rollers (spray can product) pretty often. So next time try putting the trailer in a little shallower.

Jason.H. 06-19-2012 10:51 AM

Oh, and I also power the boat up the trailer and have someone on the dock tell me when the toe eye gets to the front roller. Slow and steady is key. Il then leave in just slightly on power so it doesnt slide back into the water and il climb over the front and hook up the strap. Ive tried just winching it up but it feels like the winch is going to rip the tow eye through the hull haha.

mzimme 06-19-2012 11:30 AM

What is it that's giving you problems? Lining the boat up? Getting it all the way on the trailer? Steering issues?

When I put my boat on, I'll bring the trailer into the water (I found on my ramp it's easier dunking the fenders about 2-3" under water) then when I drive the boat on, I start a little ways out to get my path down. I'll slowly idle forward, then click throttle back to neutral, back to forward idle, back to neutral, and keep doing that so I have steering control. I barely leave it on power doing this to control my speed, and just drive the nose as center up the trailer as I can. Once the boat starts resting on the bunks, it starts leveling itself on the trailer, and I'll give the boat power to push it up into position. I'll then leave the power forward enough to not slide back down the trailer, and buckle everything I need to buckle up at the bow, climb back over the windshield, shut her down, and signal to drive to pull me out.

It definitely took some practice, but once you get it these things are a dream to load compared to some other boats. I also don't have an X-star, but the DD/VD's are all pretty similar when loading/unloading.

As a side note, when I unload the boat I try to always line my boat up with the dock on port side since when you power off the boat naturally pulls starboard. Gives me a little extra maneuvering room, since I have pretty much zero control in reverse.

kal_dude 06-19-2012 12:08 PM

float the boat on the trailer!!! works EVERYTIME!! unless you want to look like a wally!?!?

02ProstarSammyD 06-19-2012 12:28 PM

^what I do. I get my trailer pretty deep and have mine sprayed with liquid gold. I get her in and slightly floating, crank her up, and pull off. Only problem I ever had doing this was jacked up a transom transducer which shouldn't be on the boat in the first place. Takes about 1 minute to get her in and out. Find out what depth works for you, mentally mark your tire depth on the tow vehicle, and rinse/repeat. If you are new try to get an end ramp so you are open on one side or the other just to relieve stress.
Quote:

Ive tried just winching it up but it feels like the winch is going to rip the tow eye through the hull haha.
You need to get deeper then. The boat will settle into place as you pull up. Liquid roller ftw. I hate powering into it but I also hate the idea of doing that on the beach
Quote:

since I have pretty much zero control in reverse.
yea we have a long dock too. When unloading I let the others pull the boat to the very end of the dock while I park so there is no issues with trying to back out between 2 long docks and another line of boats.

Jason.H. 06-19-2012 01:11 PM

SammyD I think I just have a bad trailer design or something. I have tried putting it in deeper but when i do the nose of the boat hits the roller and stops instead of going over it. Same thing with the toe strap eye, it hits the v-bunk and stops the boat. I have tried putting it in REALLY deep too, like tow vehicle back tires a foot in the water and same result. I think i should just buy a new trailer. The new ones seem to be designed better, like the v bunk has a gap in the center for the tow eye to pass through.

BMcD 06-19-2012 01:42 PM

Hey Jason,

It may be that you are putting the trailer in too deep (not sure if anyone has said this), especially if your Xstar has the SuperFly bow. I have an X45 and it took me a little while to get used to the trailer position coming from a traditional bow shape. I found that if I put my nerves aside and leave the trailer a bit further out of the water than I would have for prior boats, I can power straight up the trailer without an issue. The bunks guide me right in as they should.

When I first started out, before I realized my error, I was finding that the nose of the bow wasn't clearing the roller.

Just my 2 cents,
BMcD

Day1 Wakesurfers

pmkkdx 06-19-2012 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A whole lot depends on the steepness/flatness of the ramp being used keep in mind. I have a '04 X2 on a tandem CA built trailer, and 98% of the ramps I have used I leave just a bit of the top leading edge of the trailer fender showing above the water, maybe an inch (see elipse in attached picture). The back end of the boat is usually barely floating... same with loading, the boat comes in, contacts the bunks, glides forward up to about a foot from my orange roller (replaced boat buddy), slap the winch stap on and power forward till it touches the roller, tighten winch strap, pull up ramp.

mzimme description of lining up a little ways out using power, neutral, power, neutral, just bumping for a second or two for steering ... seems to help with line up coming to the trailer and not coming in too hot either. My wife actually takes the boat both unloading & loading and I am in charge of the trailer.

ttu 06-19-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmkkdx (Post 850460)
A whole lot depends on the steepness/flatness of the ramp being used keep in mind. I have a '04 X2 on a tandem CA built trailer, and 98% of the ramps I have used I leave just a bit of the top leading edge of the trailer fender showing above the water, maybe an inch (see elipse in attached picture). The back end of the boat is usually barely floating... same with loading, the boat comes in, contacts the bunks, glides forward up to about a foot from my orange roller (replaced boat buddy), slap the winch stap on and power forward till it touches the roller, tighten winch strap, pull up ramp.

mzimme description of lining up a little ways out using power, neutral, power, neutral, just bumping for a second or two for steering ... seems to help with line up coming to the trailer and not coming in too hot either. My wife actually takes the boat both unloading & loading and I am in charge of the trailer.

i do about the same depth as above. i have a 07 x2 with a mc trailer and i get the nose inside the guide poles and boat settles on the bunks. from there i drive forward to the boat buddy and out we go.