TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Ballast (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Adding Ballast to Maristar 230 (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=48485)

cwoods915 06-15-2012 03:27 PM

Adding Ballast to Maristar 230

I'm thinking about adding aftermarkert automatic ballast to my 2001 Maristar 230. I currently have a couple sacks with a tsunami pump, but it's too much of a hassle to change sides for surfing and what not. I have seen a lot of good things about people dealing with Wakemakers when dealing with this type of project. Does anybody have a good contact there to discuss the below questions with? Any other replies are welcome as well.

My Questions:
1. How much ballast should I add and in what locations? (Main purpose would be for surfing)

A little additional information related to the above - I currently have dual batteries in the back side compartment along with the dual battery switch. Would I need to move the battery set up underneath the spotter seat?

2. What kind of cost would I be looking at if I purchased all materials (sacks, pumps, etc.) and paid for a professional install (as a side job)?

I appreciate any and all responses.

jeffw 06-15-2012 04:17 PM

I just did a system on my 225 maristar. I purchased everything from wakemakers as there cost is very competitive. I run a puppy pump from a thru hull fitting with a shut off valve to two 750lb sacks in the lockers. On the starboard sac I ran a shutoff valve inline so when not wakeboarding i can only fill the port sac for surfing. I also ran the vent lines to a "T'' fitting then to a stainless thru hull just under the rub rail.
I also keep a 425lb sac filled in the ski locker.
I drilled the hull just aft of the fuel tank and on the port side of the transmission. There isnt much room but just enough to install and operate the shut off fitting onto the thru hull fitting.

I picked up the sacs on craigs list for $100 and the pump,fittings,hose was under $300

jafo9 06-15-2012 06:55 PM

without pictures, i can't comment on your batteries, but i'll tell you how mine are set up. on my 02 X30, so same hull as yours, i've got one battery in a transverse fashion butted up against the divider between the starboard rear corner seat and the starboard locker. its in a battery box. the second battery is in a similar location in the port locker although there is no divider there. its just butted up against the back wall of the port rear corner seat. again in a battery box. i've noticed that when i run the 750 bag in the locker full, sometimes it will dislodge the cover to the box as it looks like it squishes the box a bit. no big deal. if i had to do it over, i don't think its would be worth the effort the move them all the way up to under the observers seat. although from a pure weight distribution standpoint, it would help distribute weight when i'm the only male in the boat and i'm driving. my remedy to that is just to have my wife drive. fortunately, she's a pretty good driver.

kstumpenhorst 07-03-2012 10:25 PM

Would love to see what you end up with. I have a 2000 maristar 230 and have done the last two seasons with the sacks and tsunami pumps. I am totally over that and want a more permanent solution as well. Wish I could get some poly tanks made for each side of engine and then do sacks under seats or something. I'm sure someone will weigh in would some good ideas. Quite frankly I can surf behind mine with no ballast at all but of course the wake is not nearly as big as I would like it. Good luck.

Rossterman 07-05-2012 04:26 PM

There was a link to a thread on another website where someone installed a automated system in a 205V. Think the other website is defunct as link doesn't work. Wanting to do this as well as would gladly invest some time to automate the manual 3sack system I currently have. I've seen relay boxes and relay harness. Wondering if this is the best way to do it or if I can get by running directly through the switches? Both batteries are under the observers seat so would have to tap into power for the starter leads to use the relays...

Detox 07-10-2012 03:46 PM

what are you guys doing for weight to get a good surf wave? I just bought my 1999 230 a month ago and just got it out to surf this past weekend. i couldn't really get a good clean wave with the 3 sacs i have- i'm not sure of their weight as they came with the boat, but they don't appear to be anything over 400#'s.