TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   speedometer removal (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=47800)

racrowe 05-21-2012 09:30 PM

speedometer removal

i hava a 2001 x30 and a few years ago i had perfect pass installed. ever since the shop put it in it never worked right, and now it doesn't even work at all. we used to be able to use the rpm's to tell the speed, but now that wont work. I have the original speedometer and would like to put it back in its original place. but in order to do this i will have to take the perfect pass out. does anyone know how to do this? do i have to remove the dash, and if so how do i do that? also anyone have any suggestions on what is wrong with my rpm gauge?

petermegan 05-21-2012 10:04 PM

My 2000 prostar had the same thing done to it before I bought it. It is a pity to go back from PP to a normal speedo. Sort your problems with PP out. The paddlewheel in the hull should give your speed and there must be a broken wire if you haven't got rpm any more, unless you do have a PP fault. The dash is removed by taking the plastic plugs out around the top and probably one/two screws down by the bottom of your steering column.

Brian B 05-21-2012 10:08 PM

^ Like he said, I'd fix the PP!

I just installed PP on a 01 X10. Getting to the screws on the support bracket is NOT easy, but doable without removing the dash. Once your hand is bleeding, and you've found the support bracket nuts, stick a deep socket on them and unscrew by hand...... Good luck!

racrowe 05-21-2012 10:57 PM

The problem with the perfect pass is that when they put the paddle wheel in the boat, they installed it too far up on the bottom of the boat. They put it right about where the drivers seat is, so when we fill up our 4000 lbs of ballast it pops out of the water. We have taken it In four times to fix the pp. it will work for a week and then will stop working. We have given up on it and have just been doing the throttle by hand now. I would rather put the speedometer In instead of spending more money on the pp

petermegan 05-22-2012 11:31 AM

It is a pity you can't persevere with a PP fix, even if you relocated the paddlewheel further back and filled/blank plated the hole. I use mine in RPM mode instead of speed depending on your model and whether it suits with that much balast. Removing your dash shouldn't be that much of a nightmare. (20 mins tops). Speedo would plug straight back in. Have fun.

racrowe 05-22-2012 11:45 AM

Thanks for the help guys, I also wish the pp would work, but oh well. Thanks for the help, an I will let you guys know how it goes.

racrowe 05-23-2012 01:38 PM

I have one more question. Where to I poking the tube that the water flows through to sense the speed?

petermegan 05-23-2012 02:30 PM

If you have a look under your dash (is on my prostar anyway)somewhere you will find the black brainbox for the instruments. Both my speedo tubes run into this. I don't know why it was ever disconnected? All they should have done was disconnect the wire off of the speedo gauge and put the PP in. I don't want to give you false info I am assuming it is similar to a 2000 Prostar.

02ProstarSammyD 05-23-2012 02:45 PM

Since you are having all the problems with the paddle wheel have you considered going to gps? I love having the GPS speed instead of the norm speedo. 2 birds.........1 stone

The dash has plugs around the back by the windshield. Once you pop these out you can pop the dash up enough to remove the screws off the brackets.

MasterKraftS&S 05-23-2012 02:54 PM

Just ordered a GPS Speedo(similar in design) to replace a non-functioning original airguide unit on my '84 SNS. Excited to use it this weekend. Getting into the new millennium - Woot!