TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Engine / Drive Train (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   holley 4160 help (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=47638)

disastercraft 05-17-2012 05:08 AM

holley 4160 help

Hello, proud new owner of a 87 ps190 indmar351 vd1:1. I recently rebuilt the carb, a 4160 list 50419-1, assuming it would fix the no idle condition. The boat idles great now, but runs rich as heck up and down. Could this be a power valve issue (put in a 2 in/hg), or something else? Any insight from a carb expert would be great. Thanks!

1985 Skiier 05-17-2012 07:22 PM

Did you adjust your air fuel ratio after the rebuild?

Slinkyredfoot 05-17-2012 07:45 PM

Could be several things, what do you mean about runs rich as heck up and down? These carbs from what I have learned are pretty simple. More info would help.

thatsmrmastercraft 05-17-2012 08:46 PM

Agreed more info would be good. Your carb is old enough to have had the power valve ruptured from a backfire. Holley part #125-500 is an update for 1989 and older carbs. To test your power valve, while holding the large end, try to turn the small end. If it will turn, the valve is shot. If it won't turn, the valve still works. A blown power valve goes to full rich and the boat is barely drive-able, and will be leaving some black smoke.

Another possibility for running rich is a choke set too rich. Your choke should open fully within one minute of start-up.

Slinkyredfoot 05-17-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft (Post 840560)
Agreed more info would be good. Your carb is old enough to have had the power valve ruptured from a backfire. Holley part #125-500 is an update for 1989 and older carbs. To test your power valve, while holding the large end, try to turn the small end. If it will turn, the valve is shot. If it won't turn, the valve still works. A blown power valve goes to full rich and the boat is barely drive-able, and will be leaving some black smoke.

Another possibility for running rich is a choke set too rich. Your choke should open fully within one minute of start-up.

You are way to good, did you write the service manual my friend? :cool:

pkskier 05-17-2012 11:42 PM

Usually if there is a power valve problem it will not idle very well and it will run extremely rich. the power valve should be a 2.5. Since you just recently rebuilt the carb you may have squirreled out the power valve gasket which will dump gas pass the power valve. Check your oil and make sure you are not dumping fuel into your crankcase. You can pull off the front fuel bowl and check the gasket behind the power valve. You also need to check your float adjustment in the front fuel bowl. Which is probably the problem since like I mentioned earlier a power valve problem creates an idleing problem.

disastercraft 05-18-2012 06:06 AM

Today I checked both floats and needles. They appear parallel and are seating correctly. From what I can tell the power valve gasket is seated and sealing correctly. The choke is functioning correctly and has been adjusted. I also put in the old needles and the symptom persisted. The only thing I can think of is the power valve in the kit was defective or the wrong type, as the old one had a broken diaphragm. Do i need to worry about the accelerator pump or any other components? I will go through the carb again and verify all gaskets are sealed. Thanks for all the replies.

boater8987 05-18-2012 07:32 AM

Compar the # on the power valves, to see it they are the same.
http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...wer_valves.pdf

thatsmrmastercraft 05-18-2012 09:42 AM

Accelerator pump or vacuum secondary gasket failure won't make it run rich. Might pop that power valve off and check it out. Did you remember to replace the jets? And tighten them? Did you change jet size?

Probably need to determine which side is getting too much fuel. Remove the engine cover for a trip around the lake with the flame arrestor off and take a careful look down the throat of the carb.

thatsmrmastercraft 05-18-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slinkyredfoot (Post 840572)
You are way to good, did you write the service manual my friend? :cool:

Thanks, just been down the road once or twice, and about to rebuild my 4160 this weekend.