TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Engine / Drive Train (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   motor swap- will it work? 2004 X2 (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=47613)

ranger098 05-16-2012 11:09 AM

motor swap- will it work? 2004 X2
 
first post, and i have to thank you all for all the help you have given me so far- one question i cannot find an answer to though....

i need to know if a MPI engine can be put into my boat that currently has a TBI engine? it is for an 04 mastercraft x2 with a 350 indmar in it. from what i can tell everything will work except the wiring harness, that is what me and my mechanic do not know, and i do not want to buy a new harness (bill is getting purty darn big already!)

any advice would be greatly appreciated

j.mccreight@hotmail.com 05-16-2012 12:43 PM

Physical it will bolt up and work that way, but the harness and ecm and possible engine sensors will need to be replaced for it to work.

thatsmrmastercraft 05-16-2012 01:29 PM

Sounds like you would be opening a huge can of worms with this one.

ahhudgins 05-16-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft (Post 839836)
Sounds like you would be opening a huge can of worms with this one.

I agree, and it usually ends up getting pretty expensive buying the parts to get it all running.

Might be a LOT cheaper to stay with what you have. May I ask why you want the swap?

ranger098 05-16-2012 01:55 PM

thanks alot- thats what i thought- i will keep looking for an engine. if anyone knows of a complete vortec 350 engine minus exhaust manifolds, let me know! i know i can get one online but they want alot of money (8k dollars) and dont need a brand new one.

i got the boat with salt water damage to the engine. it can be rebuilt, but i also need important parts like the ECM, intake manifold, starter (all parts are rusted beyond repair) and alternator so i figured i could buy a new motor for a similar price.

95_190_PS_PS 05-16-2012 04:59 PM

For a complete used engine, you can check out ebay or junkyards. Advanceautoparts.com, sells re-manufactured engines that include the heads, and it looks like it would be $1700 for the engine from them. That would still leave you needing the ECM, intake manifold starter and alternator. It would also be a good idea to swap out all the freeze plugs with brass ones before installing a new engine if it doesn't already have brass plugs. I bought my boat with engine problems too, had to swap the LT1 out due to water leaking into the oil from the #2 cylinder, but I was able to reuse anything I wanted to aside from the old block.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Complete...=p4506.c0.m282

j.mccreight@hotmail.com 05-16-2012 06:22 PM

You could always go with an aftermarket fuel injection system that would have the harness and ecm everything for plug and play, holley, edelbrock etc. but you would need to research if its coast guard compliant.

95_190_PS_PS 05-16-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com (Post 840006)
You could always go with an aftermarket fuel injection system that would have the harness and ecm everything for plug and play, holley, edelbrock etc. but you would need to research if its coast guard compliant.

Do those aftermarket systems run closed loop, or is there a way to make them run closed loop? I have a very "general" understanding of how this stuff works, do the aftermarket systems eliminate the need for O2 sensors and all that stuff, or will a MAF or MAP sensor need to be added as well as O2 sensors. I assume that the old engine would have used at least a MAF or MAP sensor, which would probably be interchangeable between systems, but if O2 sensors are required, you'd have to drill into the risers or somewhere.

Please educate me on this :confused: I know pretty much nothing about aftermarket systems.

JimN 05-16-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger098 (Post 839768)
first post, and i have to thank you all for all the help you have given me so far- one question i cannot find an answer to though....

i need to know if a MPI engine can be put into my boat that currently has a TBI engine? it is for an 04 mastercraft x2 with a 350 indmar in it. from what i can tell everything will work except the wiring harness, that is what me and my mechanic do not know, and i do not want to buy a new harness (bill is getting purty darn big already!)

any advice would be greatly appreciated

The harness will definitely need to be replaced and the ECM will need to be reprogrammed, at best. If the MPI engine was from a marine application, you may be able to use the ECM but it won't be a match to the boat, like the MC programming. If you know someone who can do data acquisition and programming, that may work but to do a custom program right, you would need to know exhaust temperatures, emissions and load.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com 05-16-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95_190_PS_PS (Post 840013)
Do those aftermarket systems run closed loop, or is there a way to make them run closed loop? I have a very "general" understanding of how this stuff works, do the aftermarket systems eliminate the need for O2 sensors and all that stuff, or will a MAF or MAP sensor need to be added as well as O2 sensors. I assume that the old engine would have used at least a MAF or MAP sensor, which would probably be interchangeable between systems, but if O2 sensors are required, you'd have to drill into the risers or somewhere.

Please educate me on this :confused: I know pretty much nothing about aftermarket systems.


It all depends on the system you want to run, the holley pro-injection system uses a tbi intake sold separately, but otherwise is complete and can be run in closed loop with an o2 sensor installed in a dry part of exhaust manifold or in open loop no o2 used, it is basically a speed density system using pre programmed parameters. In closed loop it adjusts mush easier, there in no maf or map, the ecm is adjustable 5 ways with screws on it. this system is good for a low hp engine around 275 hp and very basic but its only around 1k, there are a bunch of other kits and mfgs just depends on your budget. This kit is coast guard approved. Btw I don't work for holley. I recently used a similar kit on a v6 to v8 swap on an older chevy truck.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:47 AM.