TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Iphone questions (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=47292)

Kyle 05-03-2012 02:27 AM

Iphone questions

Has anyone jail broke the iPhone 4

What does it do?

Has anyone unlocked iPhone 4

What does that do?

I want to block someone from contacting me. Smart limits has a monthly fee and you can not tell if they tried to call or text. The iblacklist App will hide the call or text and block it but archives it. I want to have satisfaction knowing that they got blocked instead of never knowing.

CantRepeat 05-03-2012 04:10 AM

Damn brother, you don't have to block me... I'll stop calling. But I thought the bromance was going good!!! lol

I wish I could help but I don't have an iPhone. I'm so close to going away from a smart phone at this point.

BriEOD 05-03-2012 07:08 AM

There is tons of information about jail-breaking and unlocking iPhones on the net. For greater detail, google the terms.

Jail-breaking and unlocking iPhones allows the user to use the device with a different cellular telephone carrier. Jail-breaking the phone requires the user to tether the phone to a computer every time the phone is cycled on an off. Unlocking on the other hand, does not require tethering. Apple produces iPhones that come factory unlocked. I have a 3GS iPhone that is unlocked and I use it while overseas to eliminate roaming charges. Suffice to say, if you had bought an iPhone at an AT&T store and unlocked it, you could use a SIM card from a different carrier to provide your service. Also, there are other non-iTunes store apps available via Cydia.

As I said upfront, there is tons of data available on unlocking iPhones. Just google the terms.

Trig2275 05-03-2012 07:43 AM

I believe that you can contact AT&T and they will block the number.

mdskier 05-03-2012 09:31 AM

Yes, I have both jailbroken and unlocked iphones (3, 3G and 4). Jailbreaking simply allows you to install non-Apple approved S/W. iPhones will only download software from itunes generally. And Apple must approve all apps that go into iTunes. By jailbreaking, you install an app called Cydia which allows you to install software from other than the iTunes store. Some of that software is free, some costs money and some is pirated.

Unlocking allows you to use an iPhone on a non supported carrier. When iPhone first came out, it was only available on the AT&T network. The iPhone was "locked" to AT&T and if you put in say a T-Mobile SIM card, it would not work on T-Mobile. By unlocking, you could use a non AT&T SIM card and the phone will work on that carrier's network.

Unlocking requires the phone to be jailbroken first. Although, there are SIM card unlock devices that do not require the phone to be jailbroken.

Unlocking is less common because it requires a certain version of firmware, whereas jailbreaking only requires a certain version of the iPhone operating systems (IOS).

I have not looked in to s/w for blocking callers or texters so I am not sure if there are free versions of such software that you could get by jailbreaking the phone.

Also note that updating your IOS version will cause the jailbreak to be undone and will require you to jailbreak again. So if you jailbreak, you have to be sure not to update to the latest IOS version until you are sure there is a jailbreak available for that new IOS version.

gatorguy 05-03-2012 10:07 AM

Haven't done it to mine, but a friend has Jailbroken his and has not had any problems. He loves it. I would be worried about corruption and the system crashing all the time.

ShawnB 05-03-2012 06:17 PM

AT&T will now unlock any iPhone that is out of contract (http://osxdaily.com/2012/04/09/unlock-iphone-att/). Also they do not block numbers like other carriers do -- they want you to buy locks and limits.

milkmania 05-08-2012 09:54 AM

had my 4S jailbroken for Software version 5.0.1, but accidentally took the V.5.1 Software update

anxiously awaiting the jailbreak for 5.1
I wouldn't have an iPhone that isn't jailbroken :twocents:

milkmania 06-25-2012 04:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
update......

another reason I wanted my iPhone jailbroken

3G download speed is faster than my home based broadband:eek3:
still have AT&T's UNLIMITED DATA PLAN:banana:

pbgbottle 12-23-2012 09:21 PM

I have my 4 jailbroken And love it untethered jailbreak.