TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Prostar 190 Shopper (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=46611)

Jeepnrg 04-04-2012 07:27 PM

Prostar 190 Shopper

We are looking to purchase our first Mastercraft Prostar 190 for the lake. We live on a good sized lake in Maine and I am familiar with Mastercrafts from teaching water-skiing on Lake Champlain in the early 2000s. We are currently looking at late 80's 190's (like the ones I drove before) and I am wondering what are some things I should be looking for. Obviously we are checking engine compression and driving any boat before we buy it.
One concern that has come up is that all gas in NE now is 10% EtOH and we have been running it in our boats with Star-tron fuel treatment without issue, but I'm wondering if Mastercrafts of this vintage are faring alright with EtOH fuel? Also are the fuel tanks plastic, metal or fiberglass? I want to avoid any fiberglass fuel tanks due to fiberglass issues with ethanol enriched fuels. I would appreciate any advice you might have about buying a 1987-1990 Prostar 190.

~Nick

slickwater1 04-04-2012 08:18 PM

well I have a 93 model for sale, it has a plastic fuel cell and has been gone through on the top end to replace all of the rubber in the carb with teflon in order to combat ethanol. I don't know how you would get it up there to ya, but you can sure drive down and take her for a spin if you are interested.

Few things I would look at would be shaft bushings and alignment, compression, check oil and transmission to make sure of no water. everything else on these boats is fairly easy to work on if you got any kind of mechanical mind about you at all. hope this helps and feel free to call me if you have any questions. 731-307-8295

Jeepnrg 04-04-2012 09:04 PM

Thank you

Thank you for your feedback it was very helpful.

Jerseydave 04-04-2012 09:20 PM

87-90 are very nice prostars but so are 91-94's if it's within your budget.

I had a '94 with the LT-1 engine and currently have a '93 LT-1. My old 1988 Ski Eliminator had a carbed 350 but after owning F/I engines you get spoiled.

BTW, the 91-94 prostar slalom wakes are hard to beat, plus they have more interior space than the older ones.

dmayer84 04-04-2012 09:21 PM

Where on lake Champlain did you teach? I used to attend a camp on the lake

orbeamlb 04-04-2012 09:31 PM

My 88 ProStar 200 has an aluminum fuel tank. Replaced all the fuel lines from fuel fill to and on the motor. Did notice some degradation of the inner hose surfaces (likely due to age and having to run 10% ethanol) so a good idea to change them for piece of mind.

slickwater1 04-04-2012 09:32 PM

don't freak out if you find some places that leak alittle bit, often times it means nothing more than just a little time needed. often times the mufflers and other areas of the exhaust will spring leaks due to vibrations and such. it can be a buying point to take a little money off of purchase price, but nothing a little fiberglass work can't fix. also check things like steering ease and throttle linkages. blowers and bilges can be fixed easily and inexpensively. your added cost is going to come from cosmetics such as interior and or gelcoat shape. don't let alittle sun fading on the gelcoat scare ya though, it is a very easy fix with some time and elbow grease.

Jeepnrg 04-04-2012 10:09 PM

More prostate advice

Thanks for the info. The boat has been moored for the last few summers did not sink so it's pretty water tight. I am referring to a 1988 Prostar 190 I found with some significant sun bleaching and oxidation but other than that looks good with no cracks or damage. the interior needs some sprucing up and cleaning but is complete with only a small rip in the spotter seat. It runs good with the 351 Indmar and velvet drive and appears dry (not engine fluid leaks)but she needs some tlc to really turn heads. How much should a boat like this cost? (w/ a trailer and mooring cover)

Jeepnrg 04-04-2012 10:13 PM

Lake Champlain

I taught at a resort in Highgate Springs. We had three prostar 190s: a 1988, 1994, and a 1998. I got to admit the old green 1988 was my favorite not as pretty but she was the fastest

barefoot 04-04-2012 10:17 PM

I know this is a little out of your 'year' range, but it's a pretty screaming deal and it's definitely on the rare side.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...939933040.html

As for your initial question...I have nothing to add

But, there is a boat buying guide on the FAQ section of the forum that is quite helpful.