TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Appearance (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Gel Coat or Vinyl on 1980 Stars & Stripes (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=46307)

JohnMogs 03-21-2012 04:24 PM

Gel Coat or Vinyl on 1980 Stars & Stripes

2 Attachment(s)
I've just picked up a 1980 S&S that is basically missing the gel coat. Metal flake in the stripe is rough. Not sure what options I have. Tempted to install a vinyl wrap rather than spraying on gel coat. I don't have experience with either. Boat runs well, previous owner replaced the stringers so it's solid, just need to fix the exterior.
Anyone know how long the vinyl lasts?

Any advice is appreciated.

thatsmrmastercraft 03-21-2012 05:18 PM

Great looking project boat John. I am planning on doing a vinyl overlay of the stripe only on my '77. Previous owner damaged, repaired and painted stripe. I will be starting a thread on that in the next month or two.

Jerseydave 03-21-2012 06:23 PM

Nice find! I think they say vinyl lasts about 5 years give or take. You can definitely get new vinyl stars and graphics from Jim@BAWS on here. (bay area watersports near Tampa florida)

Why not try to wet sand the gel first? You may be surprised.

occva 03-21-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft (Post 824200)
Great looking project boat John. I am planning on doing a vinyl overlay of the stripe only on my '77. Previous owner damaged, repaired and painted stripe. I will be starting a thread on that in the next month or two.

Looking forward to a thread on the vinyl overlay.

I have a 86 that I am slowly reconditioning. I have never been a huge fan of the rainbows. I plan to use a metallic black cast vinyl for the stripe. I figure I should get maybe five years out of it.

thatsmrmastercraft 03-21-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by occva (Post 824219)
Looking forward to a thread on the vinyl overlay.

I have a 86 that I am slowly reconditioning. I have never been a huge fan of the rainbows. I plan to use a metallic black cast vinyl for the stripe. I figure I should get maybe five years out of it.

Likely get more than five years as my boat isn't out in the sun all the time.

mayo93prostar 03-21-2012 09:56 PM

Are you sure it is missing the gel coat or is it just oxidized. My neighbor just wet sanded his red stripe 82 stars and stripes, then buffed with 3M heavy duty compound, and waxed and it looks great. It was heavily oxidized and rough but now it looks good. try the wet sanding and buffing first and see if it comes up shiny.

JohnMogs 03-22-2012 07:42 AM

Pretty sure, but I'll give it a try. What grit would you suggest?

03geetee 03-22-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMogs (Post 824300)
Pretty sure, but I'll give it a try. What grit would you suggest?

I agree I dont see where the gel coat is missing, I just think its baked in the sun and hidden because of oxidation. Do a search on here on some threads and you will find the information you need. Basically need the following....

-automotive grade circular buffer not the random orbital style
-good buffing compound to cut through the oxidation *clean the wool pad often*
-good polishing compound like finesse II
-good finishing compound/wax of your choice.

Start small get a feel for it and go easy on any decals, unless you are planning on replacing them anyway, they are pretty tough.

JTR

ctjahn 03-22-2012 01:15 PM

80's MC

1 Attachment(s)
Is that a green stripe with a textured top?
IF so it is the 1980 version of my 78!
(although I like the black windsheild)

Please try to buff it out! Dont cover it!

cj

JohnMogs 03-22-2012 08:03 PM

Dark Brown stripe, with flake.
Textured top