TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Engine / Drive Train (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Driveshafts (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=44844)

travis351 11-28-2011 11:23 PM

Driveshafts

1 Attachment(s)
New member first post. Seems like a great forum here FAQ and history were very enlightening.

Anyway, my 83 MC Skier (Powerslot 1-1/8 shaft) has been parked for a while and I'm slowly bringing her back to life. After fixing the fuel and electrical issues, we were out for a ski and the driveshaft sheared off right behind the strut. Judging by the rust, it appears to have pitted so badly right there that it rusted nearly 3/4 through. The only shiny metal exposed by the shear was about the thickness of a pencil. Probably a miracle it lasted for 3 runs that day.

Skidim needs a measurement tip to tip to order an ARE replacement shaft and coupling and as you can see, I'm missing one of the tips. Any ideas on how long the drive shaft on my boat should be?

Are there any other drive shaft replacement options out there that I should look into? I run in both fresh and saltwater.

I'm also in the market for a 14x18 Prop, nut and key if anybody has one they want to sell.

Thanks!

mikeg205 11-28-2011 11:31 PM

Check Oj props...I am sure they know how much shaft you need past the strut for installing a prop... Good Luck.... please post your solution and picks... :D

FrankSchwab 11-29-2011 12:41 AM

Man, that sucks.

I don't have a prop for you, but I've found good deals on Ebay in the past, especially for stock props like the 14x18. Probably still cost you a couple hundred bucks, though.

/frank

mayo93prostar 11-29-2011 07:28 AM

You should replace your strut bearings also. There are new white plastic ones that are supposed to be better than the old black rubber ones.

corey 11-29-2011 06:04 PM

The shaft length will vary depending on engine tranny combo, I saw you had a powerslot but here are all the combos for an 83'

-47.5" x 1" for std tranny
-40" x 1-1/8" for powerslot with 454
-41.75" x 1-1/8" for powerslot with 351

corey 11-29-2011 06:05 PM

Forgot to add that the shaft usually comes with a key and prop nut.

81SNS 11-29-2011 08:43 PM

corey is right on, my 81 power slot , 351 shaft measures 41.75"

madcityskier 11-29-2011 09:58 PM

Might want to take a good look at the rudder as well. Looks fairly corroded, as would be expected given the age and sometime salt water. Had a buddy break one in a moderately hard turn some time ago. Much better thing to fix before being stranded.

Willski 11-29-2011 10:55 PM

Wow. I bet that was a surprise! Hope you can get her fixed up soon. You may want to check a few other things while you're at it if there was that much corrosion. Rudder bushing, etc....

thatsmrmastercraft 11-30-2011 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madcityskier (Post 803721)
Might want to take a good look at the rudder as well. Looks fairly corroded, as would be expected given the age and sometime salt water. Had a buddy break one in a moderately hard turn some time ago. Much better thing to fix before being stranded.

I bet that was exciting.

I think I would replace all the running gear just for peace of mind.