TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Restorations and Refurbishments (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   1996 Prostar 190 on-going general refurbish (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=44584)

Jeffer 10-30-2011 09:06 PM

1996 Prostar 190 on-going general refurbish

1 Attachment(s)
One of my good friends bought a 1996 Prostar, new, back in that year and he and one other of my friends hit the local N.E. lakes pretty regularly to ski together. Many early mornings glass-lake outings later I moved from N.E. to the west coast, and although I'd had several boats in the past, I never owned a Mastercraft, but loved his boat. After getting settled in we purchased a cabin in the mountains near a lake, and so I began my search for a fairly low-hours 95-96 Mastercraft that I could enjoy, and as much as I'd hoped it might not need much TLC, I knew given the years I was looking at I would probably find one that needed some work. Since I love working on nearly anything and everything I buy to bring it to new-like condition rather than spend a ton on new, I was ready for what I might find.

After looking at a lot of junk, I found a '96 Prostar 190 LT1 in the high desert with about 500 hours, and it was pretty much what I expected condition-wise. I'm still working on this boat here and there but have made a lot of progress. And because I used this forum So much once I bought the boat to get as much insider info as I could, I wanted to give back some on my experiences with some dialog and pictures that might help someone else as much as you all helped me (thanks guys). Sometimes it's tough to carve out a weekend to write and post with all the family challenges.

So here's what I got to work with. The hull and outside of the boat is pretty clean, but does need some minor gel coat repairs that I'll do in the spring, and I'll add to this post as I do more.

Inside carpeting is pretty tough as you can see, and upholstery is pretty faded (although not torn anywhere):

Jeffer 10-30-2011 09:12 PM

5 Attachment(s)
So I pulled all the carpeting and found a local marine carpet guy who would do the entire job at a better price than my time allowed me to do (I saved some cash by pulling it myself). Iof course I found a spongy aluminum floor and learned that this isn't unusual, so I cut marine plywood, covered it in fiberglass resin, and added aluminum edging on the bottom rail plus added stick-on foam to keep it quiet and that brought the height right to the normal floor level. Here are some pictures of that repair and the replacement carpeting installed:

Jeffer 10-30-2011 09:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
And speaking of spongy flooring, so was the rear seat - same aluminum problem. I'd love to have eliminated wood from the floor and seat, but I'd love to spend an hour in the backseat of a Bentley with Kate Bekinsale, but that's not going to happen either, so I pulled all the upholstery from the rear seat, and used the base to cut another piece of marine plywood, carefully rounding the edges to protect the new upholstery (when I got that project started next). I used resin and fiberglass cloth on the seat to make sure it was substantial, and used all the existing support pieces, but just added them to the wood rear seat base:

Jeffer 10-30-2011 10:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
There have been a LOT of postings on upholstery replacement, and although I think there are better options out there, I went with Copycats. I was able to change any colors I wanted within their choices without adding cost, the cost increased if I changed patterns. I will say I had several challenges with them, from taking MUCH longer than they quoted to having the rear side pieces sent back twice because they made some really dumb mistakes (although I won't bore anyone here). The best advice I can give is to make SURE you have a LOT of time out of the water before starting that project, especially if you go with them, as they may make some mistakes. And in fairness to them, they really did make everything right in the end even though a couple people I worked with are no longer there and wound up being gone mid-project for me.

I went with a hunter green, sand, and black combo with some minor blue piping and kept the same patterns as original. The colors look great with the carpet I picked, I think, and the quality of the material was very good. It's a very time-consuming project, and takes a ton of stainless staples and a hot day (to make the fabric really pliable), but I'd never done it before and figured it out. By the end of the project, I wouldn't think twice about doing it again (although PULLING all the old staples really stinks and takes a while). I would be happy to share more details about that experience if anyone wants to hear.

Biggest job was finding that the side panels were dry-rotted and again, I had to make new ones from 1/4" marine plywood, and I covered these with fiberglass resin as well so I wouldn't worry about moisture anytime soon.

Jeffer 10-30-2011 10:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And here's the new side panel with the upholstery in process. I reinforced the side panels with some fiberglass cloth around the speaker cut-outs since it's a pretty close cut and that where the biggest rot and cracks were on the original panels:

Jeffer 10-30-2011 10:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
After I finished the rear seat, I made a block and covered it with left over carpeting so it sits on the floor in the center under the seat - so if my kids crawl off the back and step on the seat (and pretty much everyone INCLUDING my kids does this), it'll be supported in the center and won't crack. It takes up no room at all and works great.

Jeffer 10-30-2011 10:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And the front seats and side panels installed. The speakers are Kicker 6200's, but the stereo will be installed over the winter. I have an Alpine IDA-X100M head with an Apline PDX-5M amp and Alpine SMR-M100 base with remote module all ready to go in.

Jeffer 10-30-2011 10:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And lastly (so far), as it's going into storage, I pulled the dash panels. I have all new gauges to replace the current ones, and I'm probably going to replace the panels themselves. I have a few ideas (if I opt to make new ones as opposed to cleaning up and refurbishing the ones I have) before putting in the new gauges. And as you can see from this picture, the mounting nuts from the center console are all pulled or the dash itself it ripped/broken. I think a few of you have had this problem (go over a wake and the dash panel witht he speedos pops out of the dash itself). I have an idea here to make an aluminum backing for the panel, and as spring approaches I'll complete that repair and post it (assuming it comes out ok). Pulling the panels prior to storage gives me something to put on my workbench so I can keep busy since the boat is in a storage building up on a rack and I can't access it very easily over the winter.

Bouyhead 10-31-2011 07:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Very nice work Jeffer! Are you running a Porter Cable staple gun in this pic and what size staples are you using?

Attachment 72538

mikeg205 10-31-2011 10:33 AM

nice work and nice advice...my 95 PS205 has a few more years on the carpeting...but I know I will probably have to replace the floor panel behind the dog house soon.