TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Storage / Winterization (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   exhaust manifold drain plug removal? what size allen key are they? (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=44535)

pbgbottle 10-25-2011 09:32 PM

exhaust manifold drain plug removal? what size allen key are they?

quick question on the exhaust manifolds how do you remove the drain plugs .what kind of tool do you use. and in my case they look like they have never been removed .i am thinking i might have to pull the manifolds and use some heat is this a doable idea?
can i put heat to these things, i have never had them off yet and don't know what they look like on the inside .
i am the new owner of this old boat. ,i am also new to inboards . so i am learning as i go .

thanks jake

mikeg205 10-25-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbgbottle (Post 798427)
quick question on the exhaust manifolds how do you remove the drain plugs .what kind of tool do you use. and in my case they look like they have never been removed .i am thinking i might have to pull the manifolds and use some heat is this a doable idea?
can i put heat to these things, i have never had them off yet and don't know what they look like on the inside .
i am the new owner of this old boat. ,i am also new to inboards . so i am learning as i go .

thanks jake

allen key? what year...do you have picture?

waterlogged882 10-25-2011 10:07 PM

mikeg205 10-25-2011 10:12 PM

why would you remove those bolts to drain when the brass blug is lower than those allen bolts - for winterizing? There's hose lube you can get at autozone that is a designed for hoses... big believer in anit-seize as well....

waterlogged882 10-25-2011 10:18 PM

pbgbottle 10-25-2011 10:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i just took a pic for you guys .mine is hexagon shape ,wow! the manifold looks rusty in the pic . the manifolds don't look that bad at all .must of been the flash .:eek: gonna have to get some paint on them . i have not tryed to remove them .but they look like they will be seized in there .i have a buddy bringing me over a socket tommorrow to see if we can give them a twist otherwise they will be staying in for now.

what do you guys think .will they come out

Lumbergh 10-26-2011 02:44 AM

I had one that was so seized I ended up pulling riser and manifold and taking to shop to get it out.

Thankfully its easy and fairly cheap to remove / replace. I am using all new hardware to be safe and give me piece of mind (new gasket + bolts for both riser and manifold).

Its hard for me to let things alone that I know are messed up and can be taken care of with a little time and effort.

I read that about a quart of water will come out of the manifold plug. On removing mine, that seems like an accurate figure. Water sitting in a cast iron manifold can't be good and will definately rust.

I agree that new brass plugs every season might be a good idea. They are less than $5 each.

east tx skier 10-26-2011 10:15 AM

Don't just paint over the rust. Leave it be.

waterlogged882 10-26-2011 05:13 PM

waterlogged882 10-26-2011 06:21 PM