TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Wakesurfing (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Surfing a 2000 Pro Star 205 DD (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=43675)

RMUDBUGS 09-04-2011 05:25 PM

Surfing a 2000 Pro Star 205 DD

Tring to set up a good wake on my boat. I have a 900# bag in the rear, a 350# bag in the ski locker, and 2 350# bags on the surf side. I'm thinking a bow sac under the seats may be next. The wake looks good but I still can't surf(I'm 250#). My buddy who is half my size can though. Anyone else surf a 205 or have any suggestions?

I may need a different board. We are using a Hyperlite Broadcast.

LA205 09-04-2011 10:11 PM

I have 1997 205, same as your hull, I'm about 210 and can surf with no ballast with a 7 ft ocean board, I did modify my platform to fix it from digging into wake, this was probably the most beneficial mod. We also use three 30 gal trash cans for ballast and get a nice wake, low budget operation but it works.

RMUDBUGS 09-05-2011 02:31 AM

Let's see some pics of that swim platform.

gatorguy 09-05-2011 12:25 PM

I have a 97 ps 205. I put 750# under rear seat shifted all the way to the port side, and 750# down the port side of the engine. The two bags make an L-shape. The rub rail is right at the water line when loaded down. I get a wave that comes up to my hip with a nice curl when I drive about 10.5mph. I think I'm gonna try pulling off my swim deck next time I'm out to see if it cleans it up even more. I think it is acting like a trim tab and lifting the port corner out of the water a little as we drive. My friends and I are all around 200# and can easily surf on any of the boards out there on this wave. My mother in law said it is much bigger than the wave they surf behind a friends x-30 with stock ballast.

tommcat 09-05-2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatorguy (Post 786622)
I have a 97 ps 205. I put 750# under rear seat shifted all the way to the port side, and 750# down the port side of the engine. The two bags make an L-shape. The rub rail is right at the water line when loaded down. I get a wave that comes up to my hip with a nice curl when I drive about 10.5mph. I think I'm gonna try pulling off my swim deck next time I'm out to see if it cleans it up even more. I think it is acting like a trim tab and lifting the port corner out of the water a little as we drive. My friends and I are all around 200# and can easily surf on any of the boards out there on this wave. My mother in law said it is much bigger than the wave they surf behind a friends x-30 with stock ballast.

gator, thats the same boat i have and i'm going to be trying to get it set up for surfing for next season. couple question for you, do you run into any problems with fuel coming out the vent? and are you running any ballast in the bow to lengthen the sweet spot?

tom

LA205 09-05-2011 09:11 PM

platform

2 Attachment(s)
My platform was repaired by previous owner, they had the wrong angle, i made the wooden shim. now it is slightly above stock. Now it never digs into the wake. I am also using 7 ft ocean surf board I bought second hand. We can surf no ballast or if we want to use our 5'6'' liquid force board we will fill up the three trash cans. Fixing the platform angle fixed everything. I noticed your mudbug name, you must be Shreveport area, we are in Ruston, we usually goto Claibourne.

gatorguy 09-06-2011 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommcat (Post 786656)
gator, thats the same boat i have and i'm going to be trying to get it set up for surfing for next season. couple question for you, do you run into any problems with fuel coming out the vent? and are you running any ballast in the bow to lengthen the sweet spot?

tom

No problems with fuel so far. I noticed that the vent is underwater or getting splashed with water quite a bit. This was a bit worry-some as my friends BU had the same problem and quit running from getting water in the fuel. We moved his vent to the starboard side to fix the problem. I took out my rear seat and removed the fuel tank cover to see if I needed to move my vent line. I found that the line goes from the vent fitting on the hull then is suspended from the top of the stern fiberglass, and then travels all the way to the starboard side where it plugs into the tank. The way the tubing is routed makes it almost impossible for water to make its way into the tank. The only time I notice fuel coming out is when I am filling the tank and it sloshes out when it is full.

I have not tried putting any fat sacks up front yet. I have moved people around in the boat and haven't found a huge difference. The biggest thing is just keeping all the weight to the port side. I think removing the swim step will make a big difference though.

tommcat 09-06-2011 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatorguy (Post 786753)
No problems with fuel so far. I noticed that the vent is underwater or getting splashed with water quite a bit. This was a bit worry-some as my friends BU had the same problem and quit running from getting water in the fuel. We moved his vent to the starboard side to fix the problem. I took out my rear seat and removed the fuel tank cover to see if I needed to move my vent line. I found that the line goes from the vent fitting on the hull then is suspended from the top of the stern fiberglass, and then travels all the way to the starboard side where it plugs into the tank. The way the tubing is routed makes it almost impossible for water to make its way into the tank. The only time I notice fuel coming out is when I am filling the tank and it sloshes out when it is full.

I have not tried putting any fat sacks up front yet. I have moved people around in the boat and haven't found a huge difference. The biggest thing is just keeping all the weight to the port side. I think removing the swim step will make a big difference though.

good to know, thanks.

unfortunately removing the platform is illegal here in MA(like everything else) so i cant do that. i may make a smaller one or was thinking about making mine on adjustable bracket so i can change the angle when surfing.

jamisonsbrodie 09-06-2011 11:42 AM

I would say you need a bigger board unless you have the 5'6" broadcast. I would say 5'3" or bigger for you weight, unless you have a really big wave. Preferably 5'6".

RMUDBUGS 09-08-2011 01:26 AM

I have the 5'6" broadcast. I'm currently looking at some other "surf constuction" boards for next year.