TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding & Wakeskating (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Getting Kids started wakeboarding (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=43339)

jconover 08-23-2011 03:07 PM

Getting Kids started wakeboarding

Can someone with some experience with kids provide some kind advice on a first wakeboard? Make/model, boot type? Took my kids and their friends on the lake last weekend, taught them all to ski on the bar, then the rope... one boy (age 10) was commenting that it was sort-of boring --so I think it might be time to hook him up on something more challenging. I'm not much of a wakeboarder myself - I can get up and maneuver, but I'm not into aerial tricks... but I get the impression the kids can/will be.

Thanks in advance!

rlwiley 08-23-2011 03:16 PM

My now 8yr old has been riding Hyperlite Motive 109 since he was 4.
We have always used the tried and true learning techniques passed down from my parents.....

1. Arms straight
2. Knees slightly bent
3. Let the boat pull you up
4. Follow us

LYNRDSKYNRD 08-23-2011 03:45 PM

My sons started on a Hyperlite State size will depend on how much the weigh.

Remember you can pull a wake boarder really, really slow until they get a feel for it. I often pull new boarders at around 11 mph.

gr82bgreen 08-23-2011 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LYNRDSKYNRD (Post 783380)
My sons started on a Hyperlite State size will depend on how much the weigh.

Remember you can pull a wake boarder really, really slow until they get a feel for it. I often pull new boarders at around 11 mph.

And pull them up really, really slow as well. They still pop right up.

ricford 08-23-2011 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jconover (Post 783371)
Can someone with some experience with kids provide some kind advice on a first wakeboard? Make/model, boot type? Took my kids and their friends on the lake last weekend, taught them all to ski on the bar, then the rope... one boy (age 10) was commenting that it was sort-of boring --so I think it might be time to hook him up on something more challenging. I'm not much of a wakeboarder myself - I can get up and maneuver, but I'm not into aerial tricks... but I get the impression the kids can/will be.

Thanks in advance!

I'm all for teaching kids new things, but your boy said that skiing was BORING! Sacrilegious!! Get him to try dropping one and see how boring it is. Then he can start using a slalom course and never be bored again.
Just kidding, good luck with the wakeboarding.

Trig2275 08-23-2011 04:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My boys 8 & 10 ride the Ronix Vision 120 with matching boots.

Knees in your chest
Elbows around your knees
Butt to the board
Wait for the boat to pull you up like tug o war

Jerseydave 08-23-2011 05:04 PM

Daughter Taylor got up and rode for 2 mins. 8 years old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB2mZwOoMng

Pull the little ones real slow at first, actually just dragging them.
It helps to run along the shore/beach first to get them use to the pull before putting them behind the boat. If someone is in the water floating next to them they can help keep the board steady for the initial takeoff.

Tell them the board is like an airplane wing, angle it toward the boat (point your toes) so the board will get on plane.

NashCraft 08-24-2011 09:10 AM

What is the next step?

I get my daughter up, but then she does two switches and wipes out after 30 yards!

How do I descibe the proper position?

Thanks

jafo9 08-24-2011 09:37 AM

I tell kids to pretend to try put the handle on their hip to go straight and to put it in their back pocket for toeside. Heelside usually takes care of itself. I like the hinge type boots for kids as they are so easy to use for little hands.

jonboy688 09-12-2011 11:11 PM

Thanks for the tips guys got my 10 year old up in two trys this weekend and got my buddy up in a few more trys for the first time