TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Prostar 190 LT-1 vs Standard TBI (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=43060)

80starsmn 08-10-2011 09:38 AM

Prostar 190 LT-1 vs Standard TBI

Hello, I am looking for your inputs on my buying decision. I am looking for a mid 90's Prostar 190 as a replacement for our 80' Stars and Stripes. While I know the upgrade in hull will be awesome alone, I am torn on the choice between a model with the LT-1 or one with the standard 275hp TBI 1:1.5 powerslot trans. I have been told there was an option on this boat for a LT-1 with powerslot 1:1.5 trans, does anyone know how common this is to find in the used boat arena? I am a 44yr old 175lb diehard slalom and barefooter with three boys who are wakeboarders, so our boat must meet all of our needs. The powerslot is in our 80 Stars and Stripes and I want the power it produces in our next boat. I am intoxicated with the cool factor of having the LT-1 but ARE the drawbacks too great for our needs. I understand most LT-1 boats are only 1:1 trans ratios which give great top speed but less low speed qualities. An LT-1 with a 1:1.5 ratio (if available) would solve that problem but then do have cooling issues, premium fuel oct. requirements, increased repair costs, finnicky running engine concerns? I keep telling my self I need to sober up and get over the "cool" factor of the LT-1 and just find us a nice clean 190 with the standard 1:1.5 and enjoy the new wake and ride. All opinions welcome.

MIskier 08-10-2011 09:47 AM

An LT-1 without the slot is still going to be more than powerful enough for your needs. If you can get behind the wheel of one and the differences between the 80's S&S will be night and day as far as performance.

captain planet 08-10-2011 09:48 AM

I have a 98 190 with the LT-1 (350 HP) in my 30th Anniversary w/ 1:1 transmission. I have 670 hours of trouble-free engine performance to this point. I love to go footin and slalom, my wife and kids wakeboard and kneeboard. The boat does everything we want it to do. I generally go footin at around 40 mph and it gets me there fast enough.

Drawbacks to the LT-1? I don't know of any other than you have to watch the temp gauge since the engine has aluminum heads. The cooling issues you mention were solved wth reverse cooling. I can't remember the specifics of that off the top of my head, but if you do a search on here you will find several threads on the topic.

As for the premium fuel...it is 0.20 more per gallon x 24 gallons in my tank which makes a fill up $4.80 more.

I hope this helps.

east tx skier 08-10-2011 10:36 AM

Either engine will meet your needs. The LT-1 might do a little more for the long line footers though.

Ski-me 08-10-2011 11:18 AM

I have the LT-1 in my 94' and have had no issues with it (as soon as I had the correct t-stats installed). I wanted the extra HP because of our higher elevation and also the "cool factor". You can always re-prop your boat if you need to adjust hole shot or top speed. We've put on about 200 hrs (400 total) in the past 3 years and it has started up every time with no issues.

Definitely worth considering if you find the right boat. Don't get a trasher though just for the LT1.

kpickett 08-10-2011 12:38 PM

The LT1 came in 1:1 and 1:1.5. My buddy and I own identical '94s with the LT1. His is the slot, mine is 1:1. His comes out of the hole a little faster, mine has a little more top end. We've drag raced. He beats me off the line. I catch up by the end of the course and start pulling ahead. Believe me, the 1:1 has more than enough power to pull anyone out of the water. I always have to tell new drivers to really baby it on the start, or they rip my arms out. We use my boat mainly for slalom, but a barefooter friend absolutely loves the speed of my boat.

I have had no problems at all with this engine, except for a misaligned alternator bracket. It's not a finicky engine at all.

SS LS1 08-10-2011 12:51 PM

I have the same '98 Anniversary ProStar as Captain Planet with the 350hp LT-1, but we also have the Power Slot transmission. No regrets as the boat flat out rips compared to our old '85 S&S with the 1:1. The LT-1 is definitely the way to go, no downsides in my eyes. I thought with an additional 100 hp to feed (compared to the 351w) and the Power Slot the fuel consumption would be poor. But the fuel consumption ( with 4-6 people in the boat on avg, tower and heavy subwoofers up front) has been better than the '85 was with just 2 people in the boat.

The '98 had been a win win and we love the roomier interior space. Hold out for the right boat and the LT-1 or you will always want one wondering what it would have been like. :)

VTJC 08-10-2011 01:09 PM

I have experience with a 98 MC SportStar(95-97 Prostar Hull) with an LT1 with a 3 blade prop 1:1 trans and a 99 MC SportStar with a 350 TBI (310 HP) aka as Predator with a 4 blade CNC OJ prop 1:1 trans. I owned the 99 and it was very comparable to the 98 with LT1, which is a friends that I still ski behind. The LT1 might have a slightly higher top speed, but with the CNC OJ I found the 350 TBI pulled harder pulling a skier up. If I where shopping for that era boat again I would go with the 350 TBI I think it’s a simpler motor electronically with less to brake and cheaper to repair and replace if necessary. If you search the forum, there are some great threads on the hull histories. Good luck with your boat search.

The SportStar/X5 a great way to get a newer boat, with simpler interior for less $ than the ProStars. Check out http://www.mastercraft.com/market/sh...uct=4164&cat=5
&
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-...-/200639500638
in 98 the SportStars standard engine was a 305 TBI(LT1 optional but rare), but in 99+ the stock motor was 350 TBI.

The8Ball 08-10-2011 07:47 PM

I've got the LT1 1:1 in a PS 205. Stock 13x13 4-blade. No problems, and enough power out of the hole to rip your arms out of their sockets. Get the LT1.

Stutsman230 08-10-2011 08:02 PM

I have an 97 PS190 with the LT1 and the power slot. I have always run it on unleaded regular and it is awesome. The only problem I have had was cooling with the factory water bleeds on the low end of the heads. I installed water bleeds on the high end of the heads (very easy to do) and the problem was solved. Recirculating water pumps are expensive for these (factory Corvette). Have 1100 hours with no other problems!

We bought a 02 230VRS and now have the 190 up for sale. We needed more room for our toys. We still love the PS190 but I can't afford two boats!