TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Engine / Drive Train (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Exhaust Smoke, not burning any oil (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=42494)

FoggyNogginz 07-17-2011 03:08 PM

Exhaust Smoke, not burning any oil

Friends,

I have a PS209 and have just noticed this season that I seem to be getting a little bit of smoke out of the exhaust. When it was cooler in the spring I thought it might have just been steam, but now that it's July and I still see the smoke...so I'm a little perplexed by it. I don't seem to be burning any oil, and the boat is running around 160 degrees.

I did overheat about a month ago due to some crap in the oil cooler and the boat got up to 200, but I immediately shut the boat down and changed the impeller and cleared the cooler sitting right there in the middle of the lake (yeah I carry all that stuff because lake time is too precious to be ruined). However, since the smoking started in March and the overheating occured in June...so I don't think that the two are related.

What else could this be?? We notice it when idling or surfing, and there does not seem to be any performance degradation, but it's driving me a little nuts with curiousity.

Thanks as always for the guidance.

mtajpa 07-17-2011 03:34 PM

Not an expert but sounds like the beginning of a blown head gasket. Pull the plugs and look for reddish deposits and or even maybe water droplets on the plugs? Do this after it has been idling a while. When you have the plugs all out turn it over with the lanyard pulled to see if water is squirting out the plug holes. Small amounts of water in the combustion chamber will also clean carbon from the plugs.

Jerseydave 07-17-2011 04:22 PM

Sounds like it might be running rich, mostly at idle and slow speeds. Pull the spark plugs and see if they look black or have soot on them.

Maybe JimN or Enginenut would have an idea of what else to check.

What engine do you have?

FoggyNogginz 07-18-2011 11:04 PM

Thanks guys. I will pull the plugs tomorrow and see what they look like. Actually, I have a new set that I can replace them with as a quick troubleshooting step. Hopefully this is not a head gasket failing. Will update you when I know more.

FoggyNogginz 07-18-2011 11:18 PM

btw...the engine is the 5.7 EFI "predator"

bcboy 07-18-2011 11:25 PM

Could be something as simple as a vacuum hose has fallen off...they are very easy to knock off when working on the Engine (impeller).
My buddy had this happen last week and after going through everything he noticed his had fallen off....it was running fine but very rich and smokey.
Good Luck.

FoggyNogginz 07-19-2011 12:02 AM

Interesting. Can you tell me where this hose is on the EFI engine?? Much appreciated. Once again, this forum alone is reason enough to keep buying Mastercraft!

FoggyNogginz 07-19-2011 05:59 PM

Pulled the plugs today and noticed that #7 & #8 were a little oily while the others were dry. Oh joy. Nonetheless, I changed all of the plugs, cleaned the flame arrestor, changed the oil, and checked for loose hoses but didn't find any. So, I ran the motor with a fake-a-lake on the fresh water intake for about 20 minutes and didn't see any smoke...but then, the engine is not under much load when running idle in my driveway either.

I'll put it in the lake tomorrow hopefully and report back here. Thanks again.

FoggyNogginz 07-21-2011 10:13 AM

Looks like a quick tune up fixed the small amount of smoking. Included a cap and rotor for good measure, but the new plugs seemed to have solved the issue for now. Thanks.