TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Engine / Drive Train (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   fuel leak from carb (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=42290)

JMann 07-10-2011 12:30 AM

fuel leak from carb

1 Attachment(s)
I just tried to start my 1991 PS 190 with the 240hp indmar engine. It has been sitting for 6 months and now has a gas leak from near the carb. Here is the problem.

In the picture the silver tube will slide right to left about a 1/4" and will spin. It only leaks when I am turning it over. It leaks from where the tube is going into either end. When I pushed the tube to the right gas leaks from the left (at the arrow) and when I push it to the left gas leaks from the right (at the arrow).

How do I fix the gas leak so I can get back out on the water ASAP?

JLeuck64 07-10-2011 01:20 AM

That tube has o-rings on each end to seal it. Going to need to, at least, partially disassemble the Carb to replace them. But since you will need an overhaul gasket set... might as well overhaul the Carb.

woobiedmd 07-10-2011 07:51 AM

I agree. Just went through this with the same carb. You have to take off the front bowl to replace the o rings which means you will trash that gasket. Might as well replace as many gaskets as possible.

east tx skier 07-10-2011 11:59 AM

When you put it all back together, don't over torque the fuel line connection to the carb or it will leak, too.

JMann 07-10-2011 12:45 PM

Can I leave the carb on the engine remove the front bowl replace those seals and re assemble without removing the carb? Or do I need to remove the carb from the engine? Are the seals something I can buy at NAPA and replace just the seals or should I order the whole "renew" kit. I can get a marine renew kit at JEGS for about $40. Or should I buy it at Skidim?
Thanks in advance for your help.
So the tube should slide a little and spin?

TNPIG 07-10-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by east tx skier (Post 770004)
When you put it all back together, don't over torque the fuel line connection to the carb or it will leak, too.

East Tx Skier, If you look above where his left index finger appears to be, I have a little bit of fuel leaking from the other end of that line which I'm guessing goes to the fuel pump. Is this what you're talking about leaking if overtorqued? Think I can just loosen it up some on both ends and re-tighten a bit? Skidim has the whole line for like 15 bucks.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com 07-10-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMann (Post 770022)
Can I leave the carb on the engine remove the front bowl replace those seals and re assemble without removing the carb? Or do I need to remove the carb from the engine? Are the seals something I can buy at NAPA and replace just the seals or should I order the whole "renew" kit. I can get a marine renew kit at JEGS for about $40. Or should I buy it at Skidim?
Thanks in advance for your help.
So the tube should slide a little and spin?

You "could" leave carburetor mounted to change the o-rings but you will spill fuel all over the engine, automotive kits will not have the same gaskets as a marine kit, but you might be able to get by with an automotive kit and scavenge the gaskets you need. I tried using a automotive kit last year and got lucky with the part I needed. I would remove the rear bowl and work that way so you don't have to worry about the fuel line, apply a little vaseline to the new o-rings will make assembly easier...

j.mccreight@hotmail.com 07-10-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNPIG (Post 770038)
East Tx Skier, If you look above where his left index finger appears to be, I have a little bit of fuel leaking from the other end of that line which I'm guessing goes to the fuel pump. Is this what you're talking about leaking if overtorqued? Think I can just loosen it up some on both ends and re-tighten a bit? Skidim has the whole line for like 15 bucks.

Yes it is real easy to overtorque the fuel line where it enters the carburetor. If yours is leaking try loosening the line up and snug it back down, if it still leaks then replace the hard line and snug down...

JMann 07-10-2011 05:47 PM

Can I buy any rebuild kit for a holley 4160 marine carb? We have a local marine speed shop I will call tomorrow to see if they have a rebuild kit and what it cost to do. How much should I expect to pay to have it rebuilt? I can't find a carb rebuild kit on skidim, do they have they them, if not where should I buy it from?
I may try to do it myself if it's to expensive I have a friend that can help. How long does it usually take?

east tx skier 07-10-2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNPIG (Post 770038)

Correct. Get the correct torque specs for that fitting and do not exceed them. You can just back it of and retighten.