TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New (to me) X2 ... and some questions... (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=41990)

TeamIDFC 06-27-2011 03:42 PM

New (to me) X2 ... and some questions...

2 Attachment(s)
The advance of the clock and the aging of the back has sent another Prostar 190 to the sales line… I can’t do the sort of morning skis I used to, and I got tired of dealing with two boats (the PS190 and a 24’ pontoon), so we’ve consolidated into one boat...

I just picked up a 2003 X2. 270 hours on the MCX (yeah!), all the normal features (zero flex, triple ballast, PerfectPass, tandem), as well as a bimini, lube pump, and really nice tower lights. $26,200, plus $350 in gas to pick it up, and the $110 speeding ticket I got on the way there… :)

The boat is in generally good shape – a few small tears in the vinyl, some dock rash, but a good ready-to-be-used boat. I do have a couple of questions for the masters of the Mastercraft world, though…

1 – The pumps. Wow, are they the slowest things on the planet? And they (it?) seem to only work one at a time? I’m sure there is an obvious upgrade – I’d love someone to point me to the right thread. Or, do I just upgrade the impellers in them?

2 – The rear tanks. They are the stock ones, and I’m sure within a month I’m going to want to be trying surfing, so should I just pull them and replace them with the largest bags that can fit (along with new pumps from #1 above)?

3 – The PerfectPass. I only got to spend a few minutes playing with it during the on-water test, but I already want to upgrade it to a Stargazer and not have to deal with all the calibration/beeping/etc. I’m (obviously with this boat) not running through the course, but wife-approval factor would seem to be even higher with the simplicity of Stargazer, but would it be total overkill?

4 – Anything else I should be looking at improving/replacing? This is likely my last “new” boat, so spending a few bucks now will provide years of return.

Thanks for any/all advice,

Michael

mseller 06-27-2011 03:52 PM

congrats on the purchase!

1- check the impellers out in the pumps. if they are black or yellow you are going to want to upgrade to the green one's

2-if you are able to remove your hard tanks I would definitly try that first(instead of piggy back method) and replace with biggest bag you can fit in space

3-if it pleases wife why not?!

agarabaghi 06-27-2011 03:55 PM

Nice looking boat, lets see if i can help.

1) Im assuming you are talking ballast? They should all be able to fill / empty at the same time. You might need to just get new pumps. Wakemakers.com has both the oem replacement and a Johnsom pump which fits in. You could try the impeller upgrade. How long is long?

2) For your weight setup this is what i would sugguest. (2) 750 fly high with adaptors to pump into pumps. 560lbs of lead in the nose, unless you trailer then 2 x 350lbs fat sacs in the walkway and on the seats. That is perfect for wakeboarding. If you are just going to surf then dont fill up the 2 on the nose and just do the center and which ever side you surf on.

3) Im pretty sure you have to deal with the same beeping / menu process with the star gazzer. Once your PP is calibrater, its really pretty simple. I have the PP pro and have been offered the star gazzer from a friend but just dont feel the need to upgrade it.

4) Stereo? I just install a pretty nice system in my boat so ask away. Dual Batteries? Are you going to replace the ripped seats?

TeamIDFC 06-27-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mseller (Post 766404)
1- check the impellers out in the pumps. if they are black or yellow you are going to want to upgrade to the green one's

That's probably a good first step.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mseller (Post 766404)
2-if you are able to remove your hard tanks I would definitly try that first(instead of piggy back method) and replace with biggest bag you can fit in space

Is there any advantage to running side-by-side with tanks and bags?

TeamIDFC 06-27-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agarabaghi (Post 766406)
2) For your weight setup this is what i would sugguest. (2) 750 fly high with adaptors to pump into pumps. 560lbs of lead in the nose, unless you trailer then 2 x 350lbs fat sacs in the walkway and on the seats. That is perfect for wakeboarding. If you are just going to surf then dont fill up the 2 on the nose and just do the center and which ever side you surf on.

Couple q's:
- The boat's on a lift, so no trailer, but for crusing am I going to be annoyed by all that weight always up there?
- Does that weight strategy for surfing imply that I could add a single bag to the surf-side in addition to the factory ballast and get a decent surf wake?

Quote:

Originally Posted by agarabaghi (Post 766406)
4) Stereo? I just install a pretty nice system in my boat so ask away. Dual Batteries? Are you going to replace the ripped seats?

- The prior owner replaced the stereo entire system - I've got high-end mains and tweeters, massive sub, and more amp than my house.
- It's got duals with the cut-over switch, so we've covered on the batteries
- The tears are small and minor, I'll probably wait until they develop into something you actually notice.

sand2snow22 06-27-2011 07:49 PM

Did you get it in Spokane? Where is your local lake?

TeamIDFC 06-27-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sand2snow22 (Post 766554)
Did you get it in Spokane? Where is your local lake?

Yup, drug it back to Lake Sammamish from Spokane...

oumiller28 06-27-2011 09:39 PM

Hey I just wanted to say congrats on a great boat! Looks nice.
As for ballast... I'd go with the: a lot is good, more is better and too much is just right!
Keep the tanks and add some fly high sacs where ever the fit!

agarabaghi 06-27-2011 09:45 PM

lose the tanks and put the 750s. It will fully fill those rear hatches perfectly.

absolutezero 06-30-2011 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeamIDFC (Post 766396)
... the $110 speeding ticket I got on the way there… :)

Seems reasonable to drive to fast to pick up this boat. Cop must not have been a boater...