TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Single axle vs. dual axle (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=411)

ChrisG 08-25-2004 03:29 PM

Single axle vs. dual axle

Anyone know why some boat trailers come with a single axle rather than a dual axle? My dealer didn't have the answer but said that many of the trailers on the east coast are single axle? Why wouldn't Mastercraft (or any other trailer manufacturer) use all dual axle trailers since they seem to handle better. Just wondering...

Jorski 08-25-2004 03:35 PM

Chrisg,

You can get either a single or a double axle trailer from Mastercraft, your choice. Double axle trailers just cost more. If you are only trailering infrequently, in my case once in the spring to launch my boat and once in the fall to take it out of the water a double axle trailer would provide little benefit.

If you go through the Showroom on this site you will see both types.

OhioProstar 08-25-2004 03:40 PM

Double axle trailers offer more stability when driving at highway speeds. If you have a 20' boat it wouldn't help as much as larger 21-26' boats. Not only does it place weight across two axles rather than one, it offers better tracking on the highway. A single axle however is easier to back and personally I have no problem towing one with my Z71 and do to the tune of 3,000 per year.

bcampbe7 08-25-2004 03:41 PM

Does it have anything to do with the weight of the boat? I was thinking tandem trailers were mostly used for the bigger boats like the X-series and Maristars and such, unless you just wanted to buy a tandem for a PS190.

bcampbe7 08-25-2004 03:42 PM

Sorry Ohio, I must have been typing while you were submitting...

chris.willman 08-25-2004 04:13 PM

IMO, the Tandems make a nicer looking rig - not sure if 2K better though.....

Single is certainly easier to back.

There is some comfort in knowing that if I blow a tire at 75 MPH on I75, I've got 3 more to help me get out of traffic (never happened thank goodness). Anybody had experience with this?

AirJunky 08-25-2004 04:24 PM

Had a buddy who had a blowout with his tandem axle trailer on the freeway. He didn't have a spare at the time so he casually pulled over, removed the flat & tied the one axle up so it didn't drag on the ground. Then he drove home & took care of the tire later in the week.
I have a tandem for a 205 & it is a pain to push around in the driveway by hand. Otherwise it pulls great.

Leroy 08-25-2004 04:36 PM

I agree generally with size of boat. If you notice the 25-35 ft boats are generally on 3 axle trailer I think tandems ride the boat a little smoother. You do hear the tires squeal/grind if you turn sharp. I don't understand what the difference in backing up is whether it is tandem or single? Comments :confused:

bcampbe7 08-25-2004 04:42 PM

A single axle will pivot easier than a tandem axle. When turning a tandem trailer I think you have side to side slippage of the tires (why you hear the squealing around corners), whereas a single axle trailer will not have this, at least not as much. This is not based on any real knowledge, just thinking out loud.
I occassionally have to move my boat and trailer around by hand. I doubt I would be able to do it with tandem trailer.

chris.willman 08-25-2004 04:50 PM

Leroy, I guess you're right, it really is more applicable to the turning radius, as opposed to a reverse/forward issue. It just seems to become more apparent in reverse. Tandem limits the radius for the same reason you mentioned - longer pivot point causing resistance and squealing tires due to sliding rather than rolling. When turning, intensified with the degree of the turn, the inside wheels must "slide" sideways instead of rolling. Compare to a sled in the snow. If you pull the sled sideways, one skid must slide around the inside radius of the turn. Same principal.

Hopefully that wasn't more remedial than you were looking for.

bcampbe7, sorry for the dup - we must have been typing at the same time.