TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   2011 Indmar MCX less hp than before? (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=40397)

j.mccreight@hotmail.com 04-14-2011 06:28 PM

2011 Indmar MCX less hp than before?
 
I was doing some research for the 2011 new boats and it looks like that the Indmar MCX is now rated at 230 kW which equals 308 hp what gives, they detuned it that much so that the Ilmor will be more appealing at 239 kW=320 hp. Also looking on dealer websites they all still rate the MCX at 350 hp, what gives? who is accurate? also the L96 is rated at 284 kW = 380 hp. Indmar has no hp or kW ratings this is from MC's site. My math might be off but 1kilowatt=1.36horsepower.:confused:

MuskokaJ 04-14-2011 06:50 PM

From my understanding the actual horsepower is the same. The issue was that Indmar was using a different rating methodology than Ilmor, which caused some customer questions/grief/etc., and ultimately Indmar/Mastercraft had to state the horsepower numbers using the same rating methodology. That is what I heard through a dealer, and it would seem to make sense.

JimN 04-14-2011 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com (Post 745310)
I was doing some research for the 2011 new boats and it looks like that the Indmar MCX is now rated at 230 kW which equals 308 hp what gives, they detuned it that much so that the Ilmor will be more appealing at 239 kW=320 hp. Also looking on dealer websites they all still rate the MCX at 350 hp, what gives? who is accurate? also the L96 is rated at 284 kW = 380 hp. Indmar has no hp or kW ratings this is from MC's site. My math might be off but 1kilowatt=1.36horsepower.:confused:

Could be that the gas formulation is behind any actual changes in performance. gasoline blended with ethanol stores about 68% of non-reformulated gas and since it's hard to find non-reformulated gas, they may have opted to allow performance to drop rather than cause the price of the boats to rise to the point of being unsellable to most potential buyers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_gallon_equivalent

east tx skier 04-14-2011 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuskokaJ (Post 745315)
From my understanding the actual horsepower is the same. The issue was that Indmar was using a different rating methodology than Ilmor, which caused some customer questions/grief/etc., and ultimately Indmar/Mastercraft had to state the horsepower numbers using the same rating methodology. That is what I heard through a dealer, and it would seem to make sense.

Yup.

My understanding is that the MCX, at least for the last four years, has actually been around 311 hp before the exhaust tips are added to the equation. Also, I don't think Indmar states HP. It leaves that to the manufacturers.

Just a guy on the street. I could be wrong. But I'm not guessing.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com 04-14-2011 07:11 PM

Does Ilmor or Indmar not use the standard SAE horsepower test, like other engine manufactures use to get their engines certified to advertise their power and torque ratings. If they dont then how do they know, is this why indmar does not publish hp numbers on their website.

MuskokaJ 04-14-2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com (Post 745325)
Does Ilmor or Indmar not use the standard SAE horsepower test, like other engine manufactures use to get their engines certified to advertise their power and torque ratings. If they dont then how do they know, is this why indmar does not publish hp numbers on their website.

I believe Ilmor uses the standard SAE test, and Indmar does not. I believe this was the root of the issues. Ilmor has a long history of racing engines, and an understanding of horsepower ratings, so I'm pretty darn certain these guys are on-the-money with their ratings.

MuskokaJ 04-14-2011 07:38 PM

Just to clarify, when I said the "horsepower is the same", I meant this year's MCX versus previous years. Not Ilmor and Indmar having the same horsepower. I just re-read my post, and my response was confusing.

Sullivan 04-14-2011 07:41 PM

I've been waiting for this to come up. I hope someone who knows the real reasons behind this dispcrepancy will chime in.

MuskokaJ 04-14-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sullivan (Post 745336)
I've been waiting for this to come up. I hope someone who knows the real reasons behind this dispcrepancy will chime in.

I am 99% sure it is a HP rating issue. Indmar was not using the proper standards for rating. I'm not just guessing, this came from the Mastercraft dealer, and to me, it makes complete sense.

Sullivan 04-14-2011 08:07 PM

Then does that mean that the Indmar that Malibu uses that is rated at 350 HP is not 350HP either? It seems that Indmar has not been honest with HP numbers, or?

I was assuming that the 350 HP Indmar was the same motor in both the Mastercraft and the Malibu.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:36 PM.