TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Trailers (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Prepping trailer fenders for paint (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=40090)

supturb89 03-22-2011 08:49 AM

Prepping trailer fenders for paint

How would I go about getting my fenders ready for paint? Wetsand? Going to use this paint. The finish on my fenders is bad enough that I don't think they can be brought back.

CantRepeat 03-22-2011 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supturb89 (Post 740243)
How would I go about getting my fenders ready for paint? Wetsand? Going to use this paint. The finish on my fenders is bad enough that I don't think they can be brought back.

If they are not crack you might be supprised at just what can be done to dull gelcoat. I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility.

JLeuck64 03-22-2011 10:47 AM

Yup, before You paint it will need to have any cracks or imperfections repaired and sanded smooth in steps up to 320 grit. Then primer needs to be layed down and block sanded smooth in steps up to 320 grit and then wet sand with 500 grit before you lay down top coat and the clear coat. Its a LOT of work to paint those fenders to achieve a nice looking finish... so I would also recommend wetsanding the gelcoat first just to try bringing them back.

supturb89 03-22-2011 12:12 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I will try to restore them first, but I believe I will probably have to end up painting.

Barefooter92 03-22-2011 12:50 PM

**Thread Jack - Sorry**
While your there can you measure the running light knock out? For both the amber and red lights and how big the light is? My boat is in storage and it would save me a trip. ('97 single axle)

supturb89 03-22-2011 01:39 PM

Barefoot,

I would help you out but my boat is in storage until this weekend.

thatsmrmastercraft 03-22-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supturb89 (Post 740282)
Thanks for the replies guys. I will try to restore them first, but I believe I will probably have to end up painting.

Do you have any pics of the fenders?

CantRepeat 03-22-2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft (Post 740309)

This.

When you get it out take some good photos and post them up. There are some pretty smart guys here that could offer up better options if you show us what you are up against. ;)

supturb89 03-22-2011 03:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft (Post 740309)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CantRepeat (Post 740310)
This.

When you get it out take some good photos and post them up. There are some pretty smart guys here that could offer up better options if you show us what you are up against. ;)

Will do guys. I found one from the day I brought the boat home last fall, it's not very close up though. As soon as I get it home I will break out the D5000 and get some good pics for you.;)

JLeuck64 03-23-2011 11:19 AM

WOW!

(wished my fenders looked that good...) ;)

My fenders have stress cracks, have damage to the tail light area, a tear from being side swiped in the parking lot and are a blue metal flake which is really hard to repair.

looks like you will have an easy time making those look like new again!