TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Opinions Wanted: Stereo System Upgrade (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=36933)

cwoods915 07-22-2010 10:56 AM

Opinions Wanted: Stereo System Upgrade

I just bought a 2001 Maristar 230 with an '03 x30 tower on it. It has the '05 stock Clarion headunit in it I believe with the 4 stock Clarion interior speakers. NOTHING ELSE.

Here are my thoughts/plans:

2 Tower Speakers: 1) 2 Polk MM651UM speakers - 100w RMS each @ 4ohms - $150 for pair 2) 2 6.5" Krypt Speaker Cans w/ clamps - $170
Tower Speaker Amp: Phoenix Gold Ryval V1502 2-channel (heard really good things about this brand amp from a friend) - 150w RMS x 2-chan. @ 4ohms - $120
1 Sub: Used Rockford Fosgate 12" HE2 - already in box, dual 4ohm voice coil, 400w RMS - $50
Amp to run 4 stock interior Clarions and sub: Kicker 08ZX550.3 3-channel - 70w RMS x 2 chan. @ 4ohms (bridge each Class AB channel to 2 interior Clarions) and 210w RMS x 1 chan. @ 4ohms (Class D channel completely devoted to sub) - $180
Specs for stock Clarion interiors are 50w RMS @ 4ohms I believe.

Included prices because I am working on limited funds so consider value. After tax and s&h, I would be in a little over $700 and a local friend would be installing as a side job. I am new to the forum so I didn't know if websites for items were ok but are available if interested. Any and all opinions are desired.

Gofast 07-22-2010 11:16 AM

Don't forget to add the cost of wiring to your project. You'll have 3 amps in this system so you'll want a fused dist block and good heavy gauge wiring. Also, plan your mounting location and what you'll need to secure the amps.

This is a good start.

Down the road do you plan to go bigger? Adding second battery to run sterio, perko switch or equivelint, EQ or source to control sub volume and fade between tower and inboat speakers?

Add pics when you can.

Rob

Wake2004 07-22-2010 11:44 AM

All of the product that you suggested is of good quality. My only suggestion is maybe you should try using more matched product. Maybe try to use the same brand speakers so that they are voiced matched and it might sound and look better. I am always biased to Rockford Fosgate and would suggest their marine line to anyone.

cwoods915 07-22-2010 11:50 AM

Installer already has all the wiring, so cost of wiring will be included in installation price. Also, installer will be adding a second battery with a manual switch. I think install is going to run about $30/hour which he believes will be about a 4-5 hour job. So if I am figuring it up right the total install price including everything should be $250-$300 maybe.

Also, this will only be 2 amps because the stock interior speakers are running off the head unit as of now. (I will have 1 amp running the tower and 1 more amp running the sub and interiors)

Mounting location for amps is going to be bolted inside the passenger seat compartment on the inside wall of the walkthrough. Exact sub location is yet to be determined...as of now it is in a sealed box that will fit under the dash in front of the driver seat so that is probably the plan. But, the new stock subs are installed in an "infinite baffel" (which is mounting the sub in the wall that separates the under compartment of the front bow seat and the driver area) design which would keep the leg room for the driver.

Due to the size of the 2 amps, I would probably not go any bigger other than to maybe replace the stock Clarion interiors. Also, the Kicker sub comes with a remote bass level control.

Gofast 07-22-2010 11:57 AM

I would ask your installer to use a dist block that has an extra opening. You'll probably want an amp for the inboat speakers next year. It's probably the same price for the dist block and you covered if you do need it.

I understand about building a system with the parts you have. My system was like that, then over the winter I upgraded. Never intended too, the old system was great, until I teid up next to a boat with a complete Wetsounds system. There is always bigger and better.....

Enjoy!

Thrall 07-22-2010 11:59 AM

Sounds like a good plan. Figure a couple hundred bucks for wiring, fuses, etc.
Only thing I might suggest is getting a bigger amp for the cockpit speakers/sub. Can get a 5 or 6 channel for similar $ to the 3 channel.

cwoods915 07-22-2010 01:28 PM

Yeah, I think I may have messed up on the 3-channel Kicker amp...I can get a Kicker 5-channel amp for $250, that way I could run a separate channel to each interior speaker (70w RMS x 4 chan) and the 1 devoted Class D channel to the sub (210w RMS). That would leave me some more power too if I decided to upgrade the interiors.