TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   214/X14 Suggestion...Skiers? (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=36156)

ProTour X9 06-17-2010 09:50 AM

214/X14 Suggestion...Skiers?

This question is mostly for skiers that own the 214/X14: where do you put your skis? One of the main reasons we went with an 06 X9 as opposed to the new 14 was that it had the typical layout and you can put at least four slalom skis in the back locker. In my radical opinion it would be great if MC kept just the 14v but made a new PS205-like model with the classic ski boat layout. What do you think?

captain planet 06-17-2010 09:55 AM

Sodar should be along any time now to chime in on this........

I agree, however I don't think there is much room behind the motor on the 214 for both a seat and trunk and that is why they did it the way they did. If your not interested in slalom, what you did was the way to go, however if slalom is your concern, the 214 outperforms the 209.

Sodar 06-17-2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain planet (Post 687336)
Sodar should be along any time now to chime in on this........

I agree, however I don't think there is much room behind the motor on the 214 for both a seat and trunk and that is why they did it the way they did. If your not interested in slalom, what you did was the way to go, however if slalom is your concern, the 214 outperforms the 209.

I was noticing the same thing while messing around with Design-a-boat. I was trying to scale the layout to figure if the engine was set further aft, if the doghouse was bigger or what else could make it this way. I came up with nothing!

To beat a dead horse, a 214/X14 with a traditional layout would be the cat's meow. :D

ntidsl 06-17-2010 10:28 AM

I never noticed but pulled up the boat i designed and wow...no ski trunk...where do skis go?

Jabrew 06-17-2010 10:41 AM

We just traded from a 245 maristar to a x 14. The storage is basically none, we have had to adjust our boating ways from leaving all on the boat to carrying it back and forth. Well worth it though, love the ride.

east tx skier 06-17-2010 10:54 AM

I would just go for a 197. Storage. Open bow. Great wake for skiing. Traditional layout.

castaway 06-17-2010 10:54 AM

The PS214 has a ski locker between the driver and observer seat. I know I can fit all 3 sets of combo skis in there with no problem and a few sets of slalom skis under the passenger seat and I have a slalom rack on the tower. I store life jackets, ropes, etc under the rear seats.
On the X-14 the ballast tanks take up a lot of the room in the boat, 2 under the port and starboard seats in the back and another in the ski locker between the driver and observer seat.

Age Fighter 06-17-2010 11:14 AM

We have one slalom rack and one board rack on our tower. This really helps a ton. We also put one board and one ski under the observer seat storage area. We put the vests in the starboard bench storage. Actually got that idea from someone on this forum.

The key is having slalom racks on the tower though.

Sodar 06-17-2010 11:21 AM

That's all great, but a trunk is so very nice if you are a skier. Being able to get ready and put everything away all from the platform of the boat is awesome. I'd rather not hop over the seats, grab the ski off the tower or from some ski locker in the floor to get my ski. ProStar 214 should have the traditional layout. The X-14 should have the current layout. That would very cool!

captain planet 06-17-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sodar (Post 687353)
That's all great, but a trunk is so very nice if you are a skier. Being able to get ready and put everything away all from the platform of the boat is awesome. I'd rather not hop over the seats, grab the ski off the tower or from some ski locker in the floor to get my ski. ProStar 214 should have the traditional layout. The X-14 should have the current layout. That would very cool!

I'm with you on this Sodar. Not that I'm in the market for a new boat, but if I was the 214 would be my first or second boat at which to look (the other would be the 197). I'm already not a fan of the layout, but having to get the ski off the tower then go to the back of the boat......just isn't as nice as opening a trunk right there and getting ready.

Your idea of the X-14 keeping the current layout and having the 214 changed to a traditional layout is simplistically brilliant! I like it.