TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding & Wakeskating (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Mastercraft X-25 Wakesurfing Advice, Ballast & Setup (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=35644)

GrahamATX 05-27-2010 10:55 PM

Mastercraft X-25 Wakesurfing Advice, Ballast & Setup

I purchased a 2010 MC X-25 about a month ago. I thought it was the best all around boat on the market. I also assumed its Deep V hull would be perfect for wakesurfing, but I have had some difficulty dialing in the best possible wakesurfing wake. Of course, the factory ballast does not even get close. Here is what I have done so far for surfing on the port side:

1. Fill all factory ballast to 100%
2. Place 750 lbs of steel shot ballast in the port storage compartment located next to the engine (the steel shot is denser than water, so I can pile the ballast right in the corner).
3. Place a 750lb fat sac in the port side under-seat locker and fill it about 3/4 full
4. Place a 400lb fat sac in the bow between the seats and completely fill this.

So, with the stock ballast and additional ballast, I am at about 2500 lbs of ballast. This is for just one rider and no passenger. With additional passengers, I would reduce the weight.

By doing this, I create a massive wake, but it is not ideal for surfing. Although it has height, there are two problems:

1. The wake is not smooth at the lip and has a lot of turbulence at the lip.
2. The pocket itself is only about 5 or 6 feet long, as opposed to the 10-15 you would like to see.
3. The wake is too close to the boat as compared to the ideal.

Don't get me wrong--it is a decent wake, but just not what you might expect from the Deep V hull given the amount of ballast that I am using.

The surf tabs on the X-25 seem to be useless. If I use the surf tabs at all, it seems to increase the turbulence. I am concerned that even the presence of the surf tab in the up position increases turbulence.

I know the X-25 is new and there might not be much experience with building a surf wake out there. However, I would appreciate any advice or insight from anyone on how to improve the quality of the wake (less turbulence and longer). Perhaps I will just have to spend a lot of time with trial and error, but if anyone has worked through the issues, it would be much appreciated.

By the way, I am running at about 11.5 to 11.8 MPH when surfing.

Thanks

D3skier 05-27-2010 11:23 PM

from my understanding of wakesurfing you only want to be going about 10 to 10.5 MPH will give you the ideal wake to surf... I'm sure you'll have to do a little adjusting here and there but that seems to be the norm for speed

FlatBoard 05-27-2010 11:30 PM

I have a 2004 x-30 and have an excellent wake for surfing. I agree on the 10-10.5 mph as this is the speed I use.

Try only filling the port rear ballast and nothing else. I find that this is adequate with the stock ballast on my x-30.

jdl xstar 05-28-2010 09:35 AM

As been stated, keep the starboard ballast empty and reduce speed. The surf tabs add a new diminsion to wake shaping that not many of us know about yet so just play around and try out different settings.

Also, post some pics of your new boat. Haven't seen too many outside the showroom. :cool:

ttu 05-28-2010 09:40 AM

try putting that 400lb bag under the port front seat. this will help lengthen the sweet spot of the wake.

ttu 05-28-2010 09:41 AM

sorry 2nd quick post, but you MUST post some pics of that bad boy!

vision 05-28-2010 10:01 PM

I am not a surfing expert, in fact I can barely surf! But, if your pocket is short and the lip has white wash, you have proportionally too much weight in the rear. At least in my boat moving weight forward lengthens the pocket and makes a smoother lip.

GrahamATX 05-29-2010 06:48 PM

I will try these suggestions

Thanks for the advice. I will be on the lake tomorrow and try out some of these suggestions. I will take some pics and post them as well. I have really enjoyed the boat so far.

Captain Fronk 06-03-2010 06:00 AM

I agree to the tips of the others, it is a lot about tweaking with speed and ballast (weight and position) - surftab is just finetuning and usually the STBD Tab sould be down for the regular wake.
Attention. when you switch the surftab to Port, the STBD tab goes down... so the switch indicate the wake site you want to adjust not the tab itself (confusing.. I know)

For a regular wake the STBD rear tank should be left unfilled.

I had an 07 X2 with the high fly Ballast System installed (with 3 Way Valves), so I guess you should at least get the same results which is a good rideable wake.

BUT, dont expect to much ... the lenghts could be still an issue, so the rideable area limited.
This is simply because it is "just" a 20+ft boat and the length of the hull as a big impact.

Cheers Captain Fronk

kgrove 06-04-2010 12:49 AM

For speed, you'll really have to experiment as each boat is different and the same boat is different depending on how much ballast and people you are carrying... generally speaking more weight = more speed. On mine (x-15), it can be great at 10.4 if it is "lightly" weighted or up to almost 12.0 if I have a whole bunch of weight.

One thing I've thought about trying is taking off the swim deck as it seems to be the source of a bunch of the turbulence you mention. I haven't tried it yet, but keep thinking about it. It would be a pain in the *** getting in and out of the boat, obviously. And a pain getting the platform on and off... not very practical for most people and certainly not me (hence why I've never tried it).